Square One Vintage: a local hotspot for vintage apparel

Current+UNI+student+Damien+Lindsey+%28left%29+and+UNI+alum+Evan+Suchomel+%28right%29+opened+their+shop+Square+One+Vintage+in+downtown+Cedar+Falls+on+June+25.+

Emma Koehler

Current UNI student Damien Lindsey (left) and UNI alum Evan Suchomel (right) opened their shop Square One Vintage in downtown Cedar Falls on June 25.

Emma Koehler, Managing Editor

A true dream for those seeking original vintage apparel in the Cedar Valley is found within the shop space of Square One Vintage. Step inside, and customers find styles of UNI collegiate wear, Y2K vibes and 80’s and 90’s hottest designs. Fresh to the downtown scene, the shop has been open for a little over two months. 

Co-owned by UNI graphic design alumni Evan Suchomel and current UNI biology and earth science student Damien Lindsey, the two each individually held pop-up shops of vintage clothing around Iowa before starting their joint venture of Square One Vintage; Suchomel for seven years and Lindsey for five years. The two see a huge market in selling original vintage clothing, meaning all clothing in the shop is from original sources from the era it was produced. That is the inspiration behind the name, too.

“We wanted something that rolled off the tongue nicely. Our meaning behind that is back to square one, back to the original and where something came from,” said Suchomel. 

Apparel in the shop ranges from T-shirts, sweatshirts and even some vintage denim. Customers can find original brands such as Nike, sports teams, destinations and musicians. Suchomel and Lindsey find importance in stocking vintage UNI apparel too, special for the local students and fans. 

“Something that we’re really passionate about is collecting local UNI sweatshirts and T-shirts,” said Suchomel. “Although it can be harder to find,” added Lindsey.

For the future, the two hope to engage in more collaborations in the area and expand down the line. 

Suchomel and Lindsey also are planning a large drop of UNI apparel for UNI’s homecoming. 

Square One Vintage is open each week from Wednesday to Sunday in the afternoon in downtown Cedar Falls. They can be found on Instagram 

@square1cf and on their website at squareonecedarfalls.square.site where they ship, but prioritize locals! 

“It’s something unique, it’s needed in the college market,” said Suchomel.