Panthers finish 12th at Redbird Invitational

The Panthers finished 12th out of 15 teams at the Redbird Invitational in Normal, Ill.

BEN LAHART, Sports Writer

The UNI women’s golf team opened their season competing in the Redbird Invitational hosted by Illinois State in Normal, Ill. on Sunday and Monday, Sept. 11 and 12. The Panthers competed in a field of 15 teams, finishing 12th overall. 

In the first round, freshman McKenna Mallow led the team with a score of 75 (+3). Anna Jensen, a junior, was second, shooting a 77 (+5). Junior Allison Nuss finished third for UNI with a score of 79 (+7), while Lily Bredemeier, also a junior, was fourth with a score of 83 (+11). Finally, senior Madison Humke finished fifth on the team, shooting an 84 (+12). The Panthers scored 314 (+38) in the first round placing them ninth in the team standings.

Bredemeier led the UNI women in the second round of the tournament, with a score of 77 (+5) while Nuss shot a 79 (+7) to come in second on the team. Mallow, Jensen and Humke all scored 81 (+9) to close out the UNI scoring in the second round. UNI, as a team, scored 318 (+42) in the second round.

In the final round of play, Jensen and Nuss led the Panthers each scoring 81 (+9). Mallow scored 82 (+10), while Bredemeier and Humke closed out UNI’s scoring with 84 (+12) each. The team tallied a score of 328 (+52) in the third and final round.

Overall, in the individual standings, Mallow finished tied at 54th place with a score of 238 (+22). Jensen and Nuss both scored 239 (+23) tying the two of them for 57th place overall. Bredemeier finished with a score of 244 (+28) placing her at 70th in the standings. Finally, Humke wrapped up the UNI scoring, finishing tied for 76th place with a score of 249 (+33). In the team standings, the team placed 12th overall with a score of 960. Butler took first, scoring 898 as a team. 

The UNI women will compete next at the Briar Ridge Invitational in Schererville, Ind. on Monday and Tuesday Sept. 26 and 27.