A response to “alcohol testing questioned by students”

I was hit by a car on my bike just over a year ago Downtown Main Street by an unlicensed, uninsured driver who did not stop at a red light to make a right turn. I was thrown onto his hood where I broke my shoulder blade, toe and was knocked unconscious. The 70-year- old driver was not breathalyzed and only received citations for lack of insurance and operating without a license.

I don’t believe he should have been punished more for the accident, but aren’t police supposed to charge somebody for all violations and then let the judge decide the conviction?

When the officer returned my wallet, cell phone and accident report to me at the ER she lectured me on not wearing a helmet and riding on the sidewalk, when in fact the reason I was on the sidewalk was because I wasn’t wearing a helmet and was on my way to BikeTech to buy one.

Last spring I was on my to my dorm room after leaving my friends party. I had a beer on my bike. Public Safety chased me down and I ended up wrecking my bike. When four officers arrived I was lectured again and given a breathalyzer. It came out completely negative and I now have a hold on my registration until I complete an alcohol education course. I just wish the UNI Police would do more than hit on drunk girls on the weekend.

Larry, Music major