Get involved today

I was recently told that a survey was taken of University of Northern Iowa students with regard to their involvement in extra-curricular activities on campus. According to this survey, only 40 percent of students said that they were involved in some other aspect of campus life besides their classes. That means that our student organizations are lacking the participation of 60 percent of the students that attend UNI. That is a lot of people.

This fact just blows my mind because I cannot image going without the student organizations with which I am involved. It’s true that they do take up precious study time and time that I could be working and earning money to pay the rent, but to me, it’s worth it. I have met some amazing people through student organizations and learned things that I would have otherwise not known.

UNI has a ton of resources for their students and despite cutbacks and funding issues, there are still many opportunities to take advantage of on campus. There are numerous organizations that range from student government to social clubs to sororities and fraternities to organizations that promote specific causes to organizations like the Chess Club. There is bound to be an organization that fits your interests. There is a huge list of student organizations on the UNI Web site that I strongly suggest you check out.

There is a great deal of value in interacting with your peers in virtually any kind of setting but a structured setting, in a group with a common goal allows you to grow and develop as a person and make a difference on campus, in the community and in the lives of others. Everyone wants to leave their mark somehow and getting involved on campus is a great way to do it.

Finding a group that shares some of your passions and interests is also a great way to make lifelong friends. College is about reaching out to people that are unfamiliar to you and learning from them. It is about stepping out of your comfort zone and really beginning to develop as a person. You cannot learn from others if you do not interact with them in a positive meaningful way.

I really encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of a student organization. Everyone is busy and it may be uncomfortable to try to meet new people, but jumping in and taking advantage of your opportunities is what college is all about. You don’t want to look back after you graduate and wonder what it would have been like if you had only done it differently. Act now, join a group, make friends, and grow as a person.