Letter: “Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere.”

It is time to take the next step in activating this ethic of social justice by making campus safer for LGBTA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and ally) students.

Queer students have seen incredible moments of support from the UNI community. In October 2010, “The Laramie Project” came to the GBPAC. When extremists from the Westboro Baptist Church threatened to picket, they would have been met by a united front of counter-protesters committed to supporting all students. Queer students may also connect with the student organization UNI Proud and a graduate assistant in the Dean of Students Office dedicated to LGBTA outreach and support.

As wonderful as this support is, a protest only lasts for a few hours. A GA is only one person. UNI Proud is only one student group. LGBTA students on this campus are more than a student organization — we’re a population. A large, but invisible, minority.

An allocation of space by the university would be a signal of visible, permanent support. For years, we’ve worked toward finding a safe place to reflect, organize, advocate and educate. We envision this space as a place where all students can explore their identities and learn more about the LGBTA community. It is important to point out that this commitment will cost the following amount: $0.00. There are already existing spaces on campus that could function as safe space for LGBTA students.

President Benjamin Allen wrote that it was his goal “that every member of our community will understand her/himself to be a valued individual who is respected for the unique talents and characteristics they bring to the campus.” UNI continues to show its commitment to valuing racial and ethnic diversity. I applaud this commitment and urge the university to extend it, by showing support of the LGBTA community.

Lauren Fontaine

Elementary education

[email protected]

Kaitlin Korbitz

Women’s and Gender Studies grad program

[email protected]