Unforeseen benefits of study abroad

Over spring break, I had the opportunity to travel to Brazil with the Northern Iowa Symphony Orchestra. We spent the majority of our time in Caxias do Sul rehearsing music alongside members of a local community orchestra. However, we also visited Porto Alegre to play a concert and had a chance to see Panama City and the Panama Canal during a layover from Panama to Brazil.

It was my first time visiting a foreign country, and therefore I had no idea what to expect. Now that I am home and have looked back on my experiences, I am beginning to realize that even though our trip only lasted 10 days, I gained a lot of knowledge that students talk about obtaining while studying abroad for much longer periods of time.

I used to believe that to have life-changing international experiences, I would have to take a trip for a full semester or an entire summer, but I have reaped the benefits that articles claim studying abroad provides in a much shorter amount of time. I believe people should not discount short excursions to foreign countries during their college career.

Everyone knows that studying abroad can help students develop language skills, expand their world view and become more culturally sensitive. But a difference I noticed in myself right away once I got home, and even before then, was my raised confidence levels. This phenomenon is described in the article “Studying Abroad Benefits College Students” by Christine Sobek for the Daily Herald.

“Most students who study overseas describe their time abroad as formative, changing their view of the world, building their confidence and expanding their independence,” Herald said.

Another benefit I had not anticipated that is discussed in this article is the development of higher creative thinking skills. I certainly had to learn to think on my feet when faced with situations where I had to let a Portuguese speaker know what I wanted to say without speaking or understanding the language. There was always interesting gestures and it felt more like playing charades than having a conversation.

An NPR article titled “Studying Abroad: Is it Really Worth It?” discusses the other major change in myself I have noticed post-Brazil.

“Many times it really opens their eyes to a different way of thinking about the world that we live in and how their actions and their interactions with people from other cultures really have an effect on the world that we live in,” NPR staff wrote.

There was something amazing about traveling such a long distance and expecting to experience major culture shock but then feeling completely at home because of one thing I shared with the Brazilians I met: music.

Traveling so far only to meet people playing the same piece of music really made the world seem like a small place. It helped me realize my actions really do have an effect on the world, because there are other people who, although they live far away, are striving toward the same goals. I can only imagine the things I will learn on my next international excursion, and whether it’s for 10 days or 10 weeks, I know I will keep the things I learn with me forever.