VOX POP: Given the recent burglaries on campus, what steps can the university take to make the campus safer?

• Cici Daniels ’22, Criminology. “I think UNI is perfectly safe. The burglaries were unfortunate, but it honestly seems like it may have been a one-off incident. I don’t feel unsafe walking on campus at night.”

• Javaria White ’19, Psychology. “UNI should look into starting student patrols. The answer is never increased police presence [it should be] finding a community based solution, such as having a student community watch.”

• Larry Gray-Henderson ’19, Exploratory. “All the university does in send emails when something bad happens. That is not effective because who really reads past the subject line sometimes? I’m not sure what the solution is, but there has to be a better way to address these issues and keep students in the loop.”

• Maya Buchanan ’25, Political Science. “It’s not just burglaries, I think every university should take measures to reduce and stop the assaults that happen on college campuses. I think more training and education courses should be given to students.”

• Gabi Haywood ’20, Social Work. “Students should take preventative measures themselves-there’s only so much the university can do. Lock your doors and be vigilant for now-that seems to be the only solution.”

Laito Zarkpah, Guest Columnist

Quotes and photos by Laito Zarkpah.