No more Red herring, please

I am unsure if I received this lecture because I am a public relations major, but since my freshman year, social media lectures have come up quite frequently. 

Time and time again, professors, student organization executives and other professionals stress the importance of social media monitoring during college and beyond. Although I understand the way we represent ourselves publicly reflects organizations we are a part of, I cannot help but disagree with some of the personal branding suggestions brought by others.

Every time I receive this lecture, regardless of the setting, I get angry at how the information is presented. As a young adult, one does not need to use scare tactics to affect my actions. It is belittling and doesn’t work for me. 

One of my professors used the statistic, “59 percent of employers have rejected a candidate based on social media profiles.” That statistic was very vague. How much education do these candidates have? Which social media platforms were these people using? The statistic was overwhelming, but I could not help but ask those other questions. 

The biggest issue I face with social media lecturing is that people are telling me to not express myself freely. I am told to watch what I say because present or future employers may not like it. Of course, I recognize that extremely ignorant posts can prove these statistics true. 

Applying for jobs and looking over many organizations’ websites, I notice companies aiming towards mutual selection. They want employees to feel like the organization and job is a perfect fit for them and vice versa. 

As a near-graduate, I understand there is a line of professionalism to maintain, but I am comfortable in my competencies and self-expression. Also, I would not want to work for an organization that wants me to brand myself as someone I am not.

So, near the end of someone’s college career, you may see them change their Facebook name to first and middle name only or restart their Twitter account fearing that a future employer may see their true self. That is something I will not partake in. 

Through my social media, employers can get a taste for who I am through my experiences, quirky rants, shared Beyoncé articles and other posts. I do not want to be molded into another cookie-cutter applicant desperate for the attention of an organization. 

If I have learned anything about myself at UNI, it is to be proud of who I have become and to wake up every day feeling comfortable being that person.