UNI needs to think before you yak your yik

A new app called Yik Yak is rising in popularity on some college campuses, including UNI. This app allows users to post “yaks” stating what people are doing or where they are going, but some are not used that way. 

The app is gaining notoriety because of the hurtful discriminating, homophobic and racist comments posted. Yaks can be read in a 1.5 mile radius of where it was posted. But a number of recent comments have been bullying and harassing. 

Action has been taken against a student at Drake University, who made a threat to which he said “Columbine was nothing, I have access to a bunch of guns and am going to shoot up Drake,” according to a police report. The student was arrested and taken into custody.

Creating this app has allowed people to hide behind their phones and become “anonymous” to post unnecessary information and micro-aggressions to gain more likes. 

I feel we have enough social media outlets in this world and Yik Yak is whack with no need to be here. 

Using this app should be for fun but society has transformed it into making threats with negative actions that result in consequences. 

Bullying is at a whole new level of saying words to hurt or make other people feel ashamed of who they are. People on Yik Yak become cowards by hiding who they are and not taking responsibility in their actions. 

Saying things like: If you ain’t white, you ain’t right,” is idiotic racist backlash that leads to no consequences, only “fame” by the amount of likes. 

It is wrong and can make our student body less of a family with no friendly faces. More positive comments and less negative ones can lead to a better understanding of what Yik Yak is. 

Social media changes only through society and transforms what we see as unnecessary by the news into a helpful tool that the students can use to communicate their daily battles and stressors in their life.

UNI needs to take a stand in creating a better environment without this app. 

Next time you post something the world can see, think of how people would react or what the consequences would be. 

Even though you are “anonymous,” you aren’t. There are many ways for people to find out what you did or said on social media sites. 

Yik Yak is not worth going to jail for or getting suspended for what you say. 

College is a place where mistakes are made and lessons learned, but posting to get a ‘like’ is not worth it. 

Learn to find other activities or apps that could lead to better things and focus on the future of dreams that can come true through hard work and dedication. 

Remember that UNI is a friendly campus, full of students that want an education and having fun in a bully-free environment. 

Make an experience that turns triumphs of negative experiences into a lasting lesson for society. 

Be proud, humble and a positive UNI.