“Insure Your Future” unveils first-of-its-kind internship program

Insure Your Future is offering over 72 paid internships targeted toward college freshmen and sophomores. The program aims to involve young people in the insurance industry and introduce them to the opportunities available.

TREVOR MEYERS, Photographer

Insure Your Future is a group made up of many insurance companies throughout the state of Iowa who are now rolling out a first-of-its-kind internship program. This program was made possible through collaborations between the Iowa Economic Department Authority, the Iowa Insurance Division, participating financial service companies and other regional education institutions. 

More than 72 internships are being targeted towards college sophomores and freshmen and will be available for the summer of 2023. 

Some participating companies would be Geico, Farm Bureau Financial Services, Transamerica, Nationwide and American Equity, along with 23 other insurance companies located within the state of Iowa.

Ten universities and colleges located within the state of Iowa are participating in this program, including the University of Iowa, Iowa State university, Drake University and the University of Northern Iowa, along with several other institutions in Iowa and a few outside of Iowa.

In 2021, the average employee in the insurance industry earned roughly $89,997 which is about $36,000 more than the average for non-insurance industry employees in Iowa who averaged $54,175 per year. 

“Insurance industry jobs may not be top-of-mind for most college students, but in addition to substantial compensation, insurance industry positions save lives, protect people’s assets and livelihoods (cars, apartments, homes, crops, etc.), build wealth for the future, support Iowa’s diverse economy and give back generously to communities,” said Michael Gould, manager of insurance development for the Iowa Economic Development Authority. “Our goal is to introduce students to the many rewarding careers throughout the insurance industry.”

All internships offered through this program will be paid. The pay for said internships will range between $15-$22 per hour. Along with the internship there will be four major opportunities that consist of leadership and networking events. According to Gould, in addition to seeking business majors studying accounting, administration and management, economics, finance, human resources management, international business, marketing, real estate, sales, etc., the industry seeks positions in actuary science, computer science, mathematics, data analytics, journalism/communications and a wide variety of other majors.

There are even options for students who live outside of Iowa. Housing options will become available around the area colleges including Grand View University in Des Moines and Coe College located in Cedar Rapids.

Within the state of Iowa, there are roughly 60,753 jobs within the insurance industry in a study done by the Insurance Information Institute in 2020, and the state of Iowa is considered the number one state for insurance opportunity jobs according to the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis. Completing one of these internships could help students land a job in the industry after completing their college career. Any college students interested in Insure Your Future early-stage internships can find them listed at www.iowaeda.com/insure-your-future.