NISG November updates

NI Staff, NI Editors

From textbook equity initiatives, officially implementing preferred names on UNI issued ID’s, and securing 10,000 free menstrual products for campus, your Northern Iowa Student Government (NISG) has been hard at work this past November. Read below for all NISG has accomplished during the month of November, and visit nisg.uni.edu for more information about student government.

November Initiatives

The main goal of NISG is to make UNI’s a better place for its campus community. Initiatives NISG members have been working on this semester are elaborated below.

Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life Rachel Bass

Bass has assisted with philanthropic events put on by UNI fraternities and sororities, and is planning on collaborating with the Campus Activities Board (CAB) to promote Fraternity Sorority Life (FSL).

Senator Geneva Bell

Senator Bell has assisted with the textbook equity initiative in partnership with Rod Library in order to make textbooks more affordable for UNI students. A mini-grant program was implemented to incentivize professors to switch to more accessible textbooks. Senator Bell along with Senator Claire Schadl tabled in Maucker Union to inform students about this program.

Speaker Sam Caughron

Caughron officially implemented his initiative to have students, faculty and professors’ preferred names on student IDs which will take effect in January 2023. To update your preferred name, login to myUNIverse, navigate to “Update Personal Information,” enter your preferred name and date for the change to take effect. 

Director of Residence Life Kehde Campbell

Campbell has been working in her position to create permanent displays for gender and sexuality resources and Center for Multicultural Resources in each residence hall. Additionally, she has been trying to raise awareness and support for Residence Assistants (RAs) on campus. She has also brainstormed having safe sex fairs in the residence halls for the upcoming spring semester. 

Director of Gender Violence Prevention Christian Kreger

Kreger is heavily involved in the Green Dot Program at UNI, and helped with the launch event in September. Kreger has also worked with Rod Library to create a display case showcasing Title IX history and its importance, and is creating a panel for Title IX informational sessions. Kreger will also be revamping the “do you know GIL 117?” initiative which aims to spread information about the Office of Compliance, Equity and Management.

Director of Sustainability Kerrigan Levi

As the Director of Sustainability, Levi has proposed funding for sustainability education along with Senator Christelle Tungu. Additionally Levi has encouraged trash reciprocals on College Hill to decrease litter and worked with various organizations to eradicate an evasive species in the Daryl Smith Prairie Center.

Director of Racial and Ethnic Affairs Luigi Lopez

Lopez has taken on several leadership positions as Director in an effort to promote diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) on UNI’s campus. Lopez was a Pathfinder for Jumpstart, a leader within Cat Crew, Success Coach within the Office of Academic Advising, and the Vice President of DEI within Panther Ambassadors. Lopez also worked with the UNI Foundation about DEI issues.

Director of Mental Health Lizbeth Montalvo

As Director of Mental Health, Montalvo has discussed how to improve communication and accessibility between students and the Student Health Center, encouraged the suicide awareness campaign “Green Bandana Project” to come to UNI’s campus, and brainstormed ideas for a mental health day during NISG Engagement Week.

Director of International Student Affairs Nneoma Nnaji

Nnaji has advocated for International Students in her position by partnering with Panther Ambassadors to include the Office of International Engagement during their tours, as well as how UNI’s international community could be better represented during orientation. 

Nnaji has also tried to address academic barriers international students often face, while hosting “Honest Talks” with international students to discuss challenges and changes they wish to see at UNI.

New Members

Caleb Gehle: College of Education Senator

Sharyar Khan: College of Humanities, Arts, and Sciences Senator

New Student Orgs Created

Chapter of National Science Teaching

UNI ASTA Chapter

UNI Day on the Hill

NISG is looking for 50 UNI students from all facets of campus to join them at NISG Day on the Hill Feb. 14 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. UNI Day at the Hill entails traveling to Iowa’s State Capital (transportation will be provided) and chatting with Iowa’s legislators about UNI. Reach out with questions or concerns at [email protected]. 

Funding Student Orgs

NISG provided funding for numerous student organizations this past month for various events, conferences, and travel costs. If your student organization has any questions about funding, email [email protected].