UNI to host championship round of international business competition

Universities+from+the+countries+in+color+above+will+be+visiting+UNI+in+March+to+compete+in+the+championship+round+of+the+NIBS+Worldwide+Case+Competition.+Alongside+competing+for+various+awards%2C+the+schools+will+get+to+experience+museums+and+attractions+in+the+Cedar+Valley.+

Courtesy

Universities from the countries in color above will be visiting UNI in March to compete in the championship round of the NIBS Worldwide Case Competition. Alongside competing for various awards, the schools will get to experience museums and attractions in the Cedar Valley.

TREVOR MEYERS, Photographer

Next month, the University of Northern Iowa will host the Network of International Business Schools (NIBS) Worldwide Case Competition.  

For 10 days, March 3-13, the university will be home to the championship rounds of the 2022-2023 competition year. There will be 16 teams from 13 different countries present. Each team is from a different university or college. The international teams are from the Netherlands, Romania, Canada, Hungary, Germany, Denmark, Finland, United Kingdom, Ireland, Belgium, Guatemala and the Republic of Korea. The Netherlands has three teams competing, and the United States has two teams, including a team from UNI. The other team from the United States is coming from Saint Mary’s University’s Greehey School of Business in Texas. 

This is the 27th year that this competition has been held since inception in 1996. From the first stage, this competition is very competitive and there is always lots of strong competition which is what makes it known as a prestigious competition. This is the eighth time that the University of Northern Iowa has had a team make it to the championship round. 

The University of Northern Iowa was chosen to host the competition along with the distinct honor of being chosen to host the championship round. 

Since the competition’s inception, there have been over 1,000 students who have been able to participate in the championship round. This competition has helped provide many learning experiences for students all across the world as the students who participate are challenged with real world problems, while also learning and benefitting from the unique settings of the culture of the host country. 

During the visiting teams’ stay at UNI, they will also go experience several things that the Cedar Falls and Waterloo area have to offer, including a tour of the John Deere Tractor and Engine Museum, a tour of Techworks and even fun recreational things such as bowling at Maple Lanes. 

Over the course of the competition there will be several rounds of presentations which will ultimately lead to the announcing of the winners at the award banquet. There will also be several other awards such as best volunteer, best ambassador, team spirit award along with best male and female presenter. 

For this event, they are still looking for some people who would be able to judge and volunteer. They still need a few people to be ambassadors, who would host a team that is competing and help them with any questions or concerns that they have during their stay here at the university. If volunteering or any of the other positions sound interesting, contact Chris Schrage at [email protected] to get more information on the competition.