Panther Offense starts in stride

Northern Iowa football is just two weeks into spring practice, but one thing has become apparent to the Panther coaching staff: UNI’s offense is good.

UNI returns nine starters to an offense that scored 26.2 points per game last season, including running back David Johnson and quarterbacks Sawyer Kollmorgen and Brion Carnes.

“(The returners) are a year older and a year smarter, and they’re a little bit scarred, which gives them more will and desire to play off of,” UNI head coach Mark Farley said. “I’m excited. This team has to go through the journey, and if they do, they’ll have a story to tell.”

While the offense seems to be ahead of the defense at this point in the season, the UNI coaching staff is still deciding which quarterback will start the Panthers’ opening game against Iowa. Both Kollmorgen and Carnes are starters.

“Sawyer is really doing well,” Farley said. “I’d be really comfortable going into a game tomorrow with (Kollmorgen) as our starting quarterback. Honestly, I can say the same thing about Brion. He’s made great strides under center.”

Farley said they are currently running with both quarterbacks all the time.

He also mentioned that there is no time line on when they will name a starting quarterback.

The Panthers are rehabbing at least eight expected starters for the season who were injured last year. All eight starters are expected to return to practices by August.

UNI’s spring practices will lead up to Friday’s spring game at the UNI-Dome. A pre-game tailgate will start at 5 p.m. at the Eldon Miller Plaza leading up to the game at 6:30 p.m.

“We try and let the players enjoy (the spring game). That’s their time to just have fun and yet still be productive,” Farley said. “We control a lot of the situations during the week at practices, but come game day, I’ll let them have fun with it.”