Panthers lost 3 of 4 conference road games

As the postseason comes into view, the UNI Panthers softball team is having trouble producing runs. Wednesday in Des Moines, the rain was off and on throughout the contest, much like the Panther bats.

UNI managed to pick up six hits on the Bulldogs of Drake University but left seven runners on base as well, losing the game 7-1.

The lone run for the Panthers came off the bat of Caitlin Wnek; it was the fifth home run of the season for the sophomore shortstop.

Chelsea Ross was credited with the loss despite striking out over one-fifth of the batters she faced.

UNI started off their weekend series Saturday with Bradley University on a more positive note. Rikki Alcaraz came up big for the Panthers in the first inning with a two-run home run, her seventh of the year.

The small lead meant Jamie Fisher needed to throw lights out against the Braves, and she didn’t disappoint.

Fisher went the distance striking out seven of the 28 batters she faced in the contest. Fisher’s performance was much needed as UNI once again struggled to bring the runners home, stranding nine runners on the base path.

In game two of Saturday’s double header, the Panthers’ difficulties in bringing people home continued. UNI only managed to get five hits off the Braves pitcher and all were left stranded as they dropped a 1-0 decision to the Braves, setting up the rubber match for Sunday’s contest.

The loss on Saturday was credited to Ross, making her overall season record 10-6 this season.

On Sunday, the Braves bats came out connecting on Fisher as they jumped out to a 5-0 lead, before a sacrifice bunt from Samantha Olson, followed by an RBI single from Julia Hunter and made the score 5-2.

Fisher (15-12) was pulled after the first inning and Ross finished the game for UNI. The Panthers tried to put together a last-inning comeback in the top of the seventh with two runners on base, but both were left stranded, giving the Braves a 5-2 victory. The loss was UNI’s fourth out of their last five games.

With just four games remaining in their season, the Panthers hope to turn things around when they travel to Iowa City Wednesday to face their in-state rival the Hawkeyes. UNI is currently positioned fifth in the Missouri Valley Conference while Illinois State University holds the top spot.