UNI loses three straight in Kentucky

The Panthers traveled to Lexington, Kentucky over the weekend for the Commonwealth Classic to face three opponents in the top-30. 

UNI fell in all three matches while winning just three sets.

On Friday, the Panthers faced the 16-ranked Kentucky Wildcats on their home floor. After losing the first set, UNI rallied to win the second 26-24. 

Eryca Hingtgen had three kills down the stretch to secure the set win. Hingtgen had nine kills in the match.

The match remained competitive as UNI found themselves down 21-20 entering the final stretch of the third set before Kentucky secured the 25-23 win. The Panthers would fall in the fourth set 25-16.

UNI looked to bounce back Friday afternoon against former Missouri Valley Conference foe Creighton. The Panthers took a 10-3 lead in the first set and never looked back as they took it 25-15. UNI had six different players record a kill in the set.

The Panthers had to rally in the second set as they found themselves down 21-19. Back-to-back kills from Autumn Alitz capped off the UNI run as they took the lead 24-21 and eventually took the set 25-23. 

Kinsey Caldwell assisted on 10 points in the set as she racked up 39 assists in the match.

Despite winning the first two sets, the Panthers fell in the next three 25-16, 25-22, 15-5.

It was much of the same on Saturday as UNI took on the 6-ranked Trojans from Southern California. The Panthers kept every set close as they fell 25-21, 25-22, 27-25. 

Hingtgen finished with a team-high 11 kills in the match while Kayla Haneline added eight.

The losses brought the Panthers’ record to 2-4 heading into their home opener against Northern Illinois on Tuesday. The first set will start at 7 p.m. in the McLeod Center.