Panthers should continue to travel for games

This weekend, the University of Northern Iowa Panthers traveled to Honolulu, Hawaii to take on University of Hawaii. This is an intriguing matchup for a few reasons. Not only are the Panthers looking to avenge their loss against the Hawkeyes, but the they’re playing in a unique location. 

The farthest the Panthers have traveled to play a FBS opponent in the last five years has been Wisconsin to play the Badgers. This unique situation should happen more often.

One reason the Panthers should play opponents like the Rainbow Warriors is that it creates a buzz for the team. This buzz provides the Panthers with the recognition they need to have to compete for recognition against Iowa State University and the University of Iowa. People are more interested when the Panthers play these unique opponents.

Playing another Football Championship Subdivision school may give the Panthers a better chance at winning, but playing Hawaii raises the Panthers national profile. 

If the Panthers played opponents such as University of Florida, Ohio State University and University of Texas, it would raise the Panthers national profile even further.

Playing these schools is a tough task, but the name recognition that goes along with it is worth it. Iowans will be more interested in Panther Nation if they are playing these types of opponents. 

By playing these opponents, the Panthers will also have better success in recruiting. Recruits will come to Northern Iowa because they will play big time FBS schools. Most FBS schools are shown on national television, which can be a recruiting tactic. This will lead to better recruits coming to UNI.

Another reason Northern Iowa should travel to farther locations to play these opponents is financially-based.. If the Panthers play these greater opponents, there will be a bigger payout for UNI. As a small school it is hard to make ends meet. By playing these bigger schools, Northern Iowa will generate more revenue. 

With more buzz and recognition on a national scale, the Panthers will be able to pull in a higher amount of advertising revenue.

For the Panthers to continue to thrive as a program and continue to raise their national recognition, they need to continue playing FBS schools. 

It is great for Panther fans to watch their team play these opponents and to establish more recognition in new places. For the Panthers, traveling is winning.