Dome dominance

Dome+dominance

The Bisons of North Dakota State came into Cedar Falls riding a 33-game winning streak and three-time national champion. NDSU’s defense allowed a season high in points while the offense scored a season low, ultimately losing 23-3 in front of over 14,000 fans.  

“We’ve had some great games in there,” said UNI football Head Coach Mark Farley. “I’d never seen the students hit the field, that was a cool moment. That energy was awesome to see. That was cool. I hope the fans have a good time with this cause they were awesome. That was the first time we had to go silent count with our own team. Kudos and congrats to them.”

Stout defense would be key, along with major contribution by David Johnson whose game high 141 yards rushing gave him his third 1,000 yard rushing season. 

In the first quarter neither team managed more than five plays before punting. 

“We kept saying, do what we [the defense] do everyday and don’t look at the scoreboard,” said linebacker Jake Farley. “We knew every point and every yard mattered. We were real fortunate to come out on top.” 

Brion Carnes’ fumble five minutes into the second quarter allowed NDSU to start their drive at the UNI 34-yard line.

The defense came up big and appeared to force a field goal, as Adam Keller’s field goal sailed wide left a whistle blew and called Deiondre’ Hall out for a personal foul which set the Bison up in the red zone. 

UNI defense came to the rescue once more that drive as Tim Kilfoy intercepted a tipped ball at the goal line and a Bison penalty brought the ball up to NDSU’s 37. 

“We wanted to get vertical on them and cause havoc in the backfield,” said Issac Ales. “[I] Feel like we did real well on that today.” 

Carnes scored on a quarterback keeper, giving UNI an early 7-0 lead.

The defense continued to stymie NDSU as on the next drive Brett McMakin recorded the first sack for UNI. For the first time this year, NDSU went into the locker room scoreless and down by seven.

The second half opened with UNI’s defense roaring once more as Ales forced a fumble and Makinton Dorleant recovered it. UNI offense sputtered, despite a great field position and settled for the first of three Michael Schmadeke field goals.

Keller answered as he hit a field goal later in the quarter to make the game a one score affair heading into the fourth quarter with UNI up 10-3.

The fourth opened with a Schmadeke field goal in the first minute. The defense once more closed the door on NDSU, forcing a three-and-out which, thanks to Johnson’s running ended, in a field goal once more. The defense continued to wreak havoc byway of captains Xavier Williams and Jake Farley who finished second and first in team tackles respectively. The final nail was hammered as Darrian Miller ran untouched for a 30 yard touchdown with 5:04 left to give UNI the final of 23-3. 

NDSU came into the game tenth in the nation in rushing with 224 yards per game but were held to 43 by the Panthers.

“All week we focused on stopping the run,” Kilfoy said. “It starts with defensive line up front. Every time we have a good game, they shut down a lot of things the offense can do.”

The win puts the Panthers closer to returning to the playoffs for the first time since 2011.

“We like to take games one at a time,” Jake Farley said. “Can’t look too far ahead. I’m not thinking playoffs until we win each of the however many what is it two games we have left.” 

UNI travels to Carbondale, Ill. next week to take on 24-ranked Southern Illinois.