UNI wins fourth straight

Defense was the name of the game as UNI beat Southern Illinois 40-21 on Saturday in Carbondale, Ill. While the Salukis were able to move the ball for 354 yards, the Panther defense shut down their chances by forcing four turnovers. The Panther offense kept it to about 300 yards and only one turnover.

The first quarter started out slowly as both defenses played well and limited each other’s offense. UNI struck first at the 3:30 mark as Brion Carnes found Braden Lehmen in the endzone for an 18-yard touchdown. That would be the only score in the first quarter.

SIU were set up to score early in the second quarter, but their field goal sailed wide right. 

Ryan West threw his first pick of the game to Max Busher who returned it to the one yard line. 

With 2:30 left in the first half, West threw his second pick, this one to Tim Kilfoy who returned it for six to put UNI up 21-0. SIU missed another field goal with 17 seconds left.

The second half opened with long drives and no scores until Tate Omli recovered a fumbled snap by the SIU punter in the endzone. Michael Schmadeke’s point after attempt was blocked with UNI leading 27-0. 

SIU answered as on the following drive West found Mycole Pruitt for the six-yard score. 

Johnson struck right back with a 30 yard touchdown rush. The third quarter ended with a 33-7 score. 

Ray Mitchell opened the fourth quarter with a 33-yard interception return, moving him to the top of UNI’s all-time list for career interception return yards. Carnes found Brett LeMaster on the next play for a touchdown. 

With time in short supply the Panther defense allowed two more touchdowns to bring the final to 40-21. Jake Farley had a career-high 15 tackles.

Next weekend, the Panthers end the regular season on senior night at home in the UNI-Dome against Missouri State at 4 p.m.