UNI defeats SFA in first round play

The Panthers won their first playoff game in three years as they beat the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks 44-10. David Johnson scored four touchdowns off 236 total yards. He was aided by a strong defense allowing only 223 yards and forced two turnovers.

The first quarter ignited scoring for UNI and exploded with a 73-yard rushing touchdown by David on the first play from scrimmage. 

The Lumberjack’s opening drive was stunted by Deiondre’ Hall’s interception which set up the first of three Michael Schmadeke field goals in the first quarter. His second field goal was set up as Isaac Ales forced and recovered a fumble on SFA’s second drive. David ended the quarter with a one-yard touchdown rush, giving UNI a 23-0 lead.

Gus Johnson scored the lone SFA touchdown midway through the second quarter set up by a David Johnson fumble. David limped off the field with an apparent ankle injury after the play.

David re-entered the game in the following drive and made up for the fumble with a 70-yard touchdown reception during his first play back to bring the score to 30-7 to end the half.

The second half started the same way as the first half with a six-yard rushing touchdown by David. Stout defense from there on out kept the score at 37-7.

Quarterback Brion Carnes scored a rushing touchdown early in the fourth from six yards out. SFA managed a 31-yard field goal before the end of the game, but ultimately fell 44-10.

UNI plays their second playoff game against Illinois State on Saturday in Normal, IL. UNI was the lone loss for the Redbirds this past season. Both teams are in do-or-die scenarios hoping to advance to play the winner of the Eastern Washington-Montana game.