UNI falls in playoffs to MVFC foe

UNI’s championship aspirations are now officially over after losing to Illinois State 41-21 Saturday. A stifled 303-yard outing by the offense was complemented by a sieve like defense that allowed 564 yards. 

The one bright spot was David Johnson, who set the record for yards rushing and total touchdowns in a single season. He also tied for most rushing touchdowns in a season, all this with 16 yards net rushing.

The first quarter started off quickly with ISU scoring a touchdown in under four minutes. 

UNI went three-and-out in the ensuing drive, struggling to produce offense all afternoon.

ISU scored another quick TD, this one on the ground by Marshaun Coprich who burned UNI for three touchdowns earlier in the season. Another three-and-out ended the first quarter for UNI who possessed the ball for less than two minutes in the quarter.

ISU scored quickly in the second as well, going up 21-0 within a minute to the start of the second quarter. 

Strong defense from there on, including a blocked field goal by Xavier Williams and a blocked punt by Tate Omli, held ISU to a half ending 45-yard field goal. 

UNI went into the locker room for halftime down 24-0. 

Sawyer Kollmorgen took over for Brion Carnes after the second half kickoff and led UNI into the endzone on a three-yard scramble on the opening drive. 

ISU answered with a field goal on the next drive. The third of four Tre Roberson passing touchdowns was set up by yet another Panther three-and-out.

Down 34-7 and one quarter to go, the defense tried to help best they could as Jake Farley forced a fumble on two consecutive possessions, setting up two UNI touchdowns. 

Johnson scored on a two-yard run before a Kollmorgen connected with Brett LeMaster for a 20-yard score. Both defenses held firm until ISU scored their last touchdown to put the final at 41-21.

The Panthers finish the season with a 9-5 record, their most wins since the 2011-12 season.