Defense leads UNI to 10th straight

14-ranked UNI men’s basketball team increased their winning streak to 10 wins after defeating Indiana State 61-51 on Tuesday night.

The first couple minutes of the game saw both teams struggling to keep the lead. The game was tied 8-8, but that was the last time Indiana State would stay close to UNI. The Panthers came up with a 9-0 run to make it 17-8 with 10:41 remaining in the half. 

Indiana State made chances to close the gap, but UNI’s defense was too much. A Deon Mitchell three-pointer increased the lead to 11 with 4:26 left in the half. Indiana State cut the lead to 6 with 2:29 remaining, but Marvin Singleton and Jeremy Morgan teamed up for a 5-0 run to end the half 33-22. 

The second half was all UNI as they held their lead over 10 points or more throughout the remaining game. Jeremy Morgan started the half with another 3-pointer to increase the lead to 14. Morgan ended the game with 12 points and a team-high nine rebounds. Paul Jesperson made a layup at 9:58 remaining to make the score 49-31, UNI’s biggest lead of the game. 

As the Sycamores scored, the Panthers answered right back. Indiana State’s Alex Etherington made a three-pointer with 31 seconds remaining, but the game was already over as it only cut the final lead to 10 points.

UNI’s defense kept Indiana State to 37-percent shooting, making this the 16th time UNI has kept their opponent under 40-percent shooting. UNI also had three players in double digits for scoring: Tuttle had the game-high 15 points, Morgan with 12 points, and Washpun with 10 points. 

This win marks the second time UNI has swept Indiana State under coach Jacobson. This seventh road win marks the third-best. The Panthers come back to the McLeod Center to face the Drake Bulldogs for Blackout Night on Feb. 7 at 7 p.m.