UNI Students for Bernie Sanders to host kick-off meeting

“Who is Bernie Sanders and why should we care?” Many UNI students are asking themselves this as they hear his name daily in the news or walk past the volunteer table on campus. This is why the organization UNI Students for Bernie Sanders 2016 has begun — to educate UNI students on Bernie’s policy proposals, past actions, and to bring the grassroots movement that is growing all over the USA to UNI’s campus.

Now why should you care about Bernie Sanders?

First and foremost he has developed the College for All Act, which would essentially make college tuition free and allow students with existing loans to refinance them from 4.32% interest rates to 2.32% interest rates. The Act would be paid for by taxing Wall Street (0.5% on stock trades, a 0.1% fee on bonds, and a 0.005% fee on derivatives), which could raise hundreds of billions of dollars a year.

Furthermore, Bernie refuses to allow the corporations and the top 1% to buy campaigns! He supports banning corporations and non-profit organizations from unlimited campaign expenditures. This way, our President has been chosen by the citizens of the USA rather than Big Business.

These two issues are just the beginning. He is a voice of the people on many issues including racial justice, the rights for the LGBTQ community, the gender pay gap, climate change, fair and humane immigration policies, raising the minimum wage, decreasing the wage gap between the rich and poor, health care reform, and more. Now is the time to do the research, ask questions and join the grassroots movement. Do you have doubts on how his ideas will work? Contact us and we will provide you with the answers you need!

Like “UNI for Bernie Sanders 2016” on Facebook and join us at our kick-off meeting on Tuesday, September 8th at 7 p.m. in Wright Hall, Room 9. Be part of the revolution!

“This campaign is about a grassroots movement of Americans standing up and saying: ‘Enough is enough!’ This country and our government belong to all of us, not just a handful of billionaires.” –Bernie Sanders

Shelby Snell, UNI Students for Bernie Sanders 2016 Vice President

Contact: [email protected]