Hoping for happily ever after

LEZIGA BARIKOR, Campus Life Editor | [email protected]

“Oh, we just can’t wait for victory,” the Dance Marathon group sang to the tune of “The Lion King” song, “I Just Can’t Wait to be King” during their Pride Cry demonstration. It was one of many performances put on by UNI student organizations to kick off UNI’s Homecoming Week.

The Kick Off event was held at Lawther Field on Monday night. Mackenzi Brophy, senior communication and electronic media production major, and Liz Riehle, junior elementary education major, were the emcees for the night; the two roommates are members of the UNI improv group Half Masted.

“Homecoming is always very busy. There’s a new event every night, so the homecoming committee is just working hours and hours,” Brophy said.The event started with a statement from student body president, Katie Evans, and President Rudd. They encourage students to get involved during Homecoming.

“We want to make sure everyone is safe this weekend and throughout this week,” Evans said.

After the addresses, the UNI spirit squad and the dance team performed on stage. Then the Pride Cry competition rules were announced by Brophy: the UNI fight song must be used in its entirety, no sound equipment can be used, no lifts or throws, the theme “Once Upon A Time” must be incorporated and it must all be completed in under three minutes.

Noehran Hall used various Disney songs, incorporating popular dances such as the “Whip and Nae Nae,” as did many other performers.

Student Admissions Ambassadors cheered, “Somehow, we’ll make a panther out of you,” alluding to the popular “Mulan” song, “I’ll Make a Man Out of You.”

The groups used various tactics to fill their 3 minutes. The International Student Association redubbed the Shakira song, “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa),” into “It’s time for UNI.” One group used the phrase “What Are Those?,” which also has its roots in the Disney movie “Hercules”; it comes from a comment Hades makes to one of his minions wearing sandals. They also used “Part of Your World” and “Come My Way” from “The Little Mermaid,” blending both Disney and pop culture into their routine.

Camp Adventure  used a plush Panther to reenact “The Lion King” opening. Alpha Delta Pi and Sigma Alpha Epsilon incorporated “The Little Mermaid.” Lastly, the Black Student Union (BSU) chanted that UNI was ready, “bout a week ago,” concluding the competition portion of Pride Cry.

As the judges deliberated, Homecoming Court was announced. The homecoming queens included: Molly Norman, Emily Thompson, Camryn Wrage, Alicia Hornfeck and Natalie Rork. The kings were: Kantinka Kyeremateng, Jamal White, Kody Gafkjen, Archie Hardin and Robert Orman.

Some members were able to give their first impressions on being chosen for the 2015 Homecoming Court.

“I’m just super excited to have this kind of opportunity to express my school spirit a little more and express my love for the University and the Panthers,” said White, sophomore marketing and organizational leadership major.

Emily Thompson, senior art major expressed similar sentiments.

“I think it’s an awesome honor to represent a school that means so much for me and get to show my pride,” Thompson said.

“It’s definitely an honor to be on stage with other members of the community who are super involved,” said Robert Orman, senior biology teaching major.

Lastly, the finalists from the Pride Cry were announced. The finalists were SAA, CATS, Noehren Hall, Alpha Delta Pi and Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Dance Marathon and Camp Adventure; they will all be competing again later in the week.

The Kick Off concluded with a big group rendition of the UNI Fight Song.