Drag-A-Ganza: spooky and sassy

SHELBY WELSCH, Staff Writer

Sugar, spice and everything sassy—those are the ingredients to a spook-tacular Halloween Drag-A-Ganza, sponsored by UNI Proud on Tuesday. The LGBT-sponsored drag shows have been a crowd favorite for years now.

Anyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, or gender,  was able to perform.

One of the welcome main performers of the event was sophomore social work major, D’evine Winters, whose stage name is Paris A La Grande. He has been doing shows like this for nine months now.

“These events are a good way for people who don’t usually express themselves to do so,” Winters said.

Paris A La Grande started the show by singing and dancing to several different songs such as “Weight” by Latrice Royale, “All Hands on Deck” by Tinashe and “Love on Top” by Beyonce.

Lady XaXa Trudeaux followed, performing songs “Sweet Transvestite” from “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” “Overprotected” by Britney Spears and “I Love You but I Google Other People” by Nele Needs a Holiday.

Lana Del Grande performed the popular drag song, “Hair.” Then, performer Dakota came out to All American Rejects’ “Dirty Little Secret” and NSYNC’s “Bye Bye Bye.”

After these acts, Andrew Genie performed “Starstruck” by 3OH!3 and “Manicure” by Lady Gaga. Elias the Snow King did a rendition of the “Frozen” song, “Let it Go.” Finally, Artemis Cardiac showed off her talents to the songs “You and I” by Lady Gaga and “Life on Mars” from “American Horror Story.”

Attendance to the show was so high that they ran out of programs before it started. Freshman marketing major and LGBT community member, Tyler Herring, commented on how great it was to see such a vast number of people at the event.

“There were so many people there to support the LGBT community,” Herring said.

Herring is also a frequenter of drag shows and shared how entertaining he thought this one was.

“I was having so much fun,” Herring said. “I love drag queens!”

Freshman graphic design major, Leah DeClerck came to the show because her Women’s and Gender Studies teacher was performing as XaXa Trudeaux.

“It was fun seeing my professor perform,” DeClerck said. “It’s way different than seeing her in the classroom, needless to say.”

DeClerck also emphasized how important she thinks it is to come to events and support the LGBT community.

“Although I don’t specifically identify myself as LGBT,” DeClerck said. “I am an ally and think it’s important to come to events like this one and support all UNI students, regardless of their sexual orientation.”

According to Winters, the best part of the show is actually being up on stage.

“I love making people laugh,” Winters said. “When I’m up there, I can’t control what I do.”

The LGBT center is hosting another drag show similar to this one in the spring. Lana Del Grande performed the popular drag song, “Hair.” Then, performer Dakota came out to All American Rejects’ “Dirty Little Secret” and NSYNC’s “Bye Bye Bye.”

Freshman graphic design major, Leah DeClerck came to the show because her Women’s and Gender Studies teacher was performing as Xa Xa Trudeaux.

The LGBT center is hosting another drag show similar to this one in the spring.