Ready, set, Bo!

KATHERINE JAMTGAARD, Staff Writer

Bo Burnham, a comedian known for his work on Comedy Central, will be coming to UNI in February.

At the age of 18, Burnham was the youngest person to record a half-hour Comedy Central special, and now several of his specials are featured on Netflix.

Burnham will be performing at UNI as part of his nation-wide “Make Happy Tour.” The show will take place on Feb. 3 at 8:00 PM in the Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center (GBPAC) with doors opening at 7:30 PM.

The Campus Activities Board (CAB) was able to bring Burnham in through their concerts committee.  Neil Corkery, a senior textiles and apparel major, serves as CAB’s concert executive.

“After last semester when the We the Kings concert fell through because of scheduling issues, we decided to look at different people,” Corkery said. “And […] my committee, they really wanted to bring in Bo, because we know he had sold out at other universities in the area, and he has a pretty big following.”

Jamiee Ohm, senior psychology major, described Burnham’s comedic style as “witty and fast-paced.” Ohm also spoke about Burnham’s unique incorporation of music in his routines, saying how Burnham’s comedy is “different in that he uses music instead of just stand up.”

According to Ohm, a major incentive to attending Burnham’s show will be “getting to see him actually perform live and not just watching him on YouTube or Netflix.”

Corkery encourages students to attend the event, even those who haven’t been to a CAB event before or those who don’t know who Burnham is.

“My things that I hope they take away is, one: that they had fun first and foremost. That’s what the point of CAB is,” Corkery said. “But also, I hope that they find if they haven’t seen [Burnham] before, I hope they find a new comedian that they do like. And thirdly, that Campus Activities Board does put on a lot of events and most of our events are fun to go to.”

Students can purchase tickets from the McLeod and GBPAC ticket offices for $20. Non-students can purchase tickets from the McLeod and GBPAC offices, as well as online, for $30.