New UNI AD

UNI

On Feb. 24, David Harris was named UNI director of intercollegiate athletics. Harris was one of the three finalists that included Kevin Buisman of Minnesota State and Peter Fields of Montana State. Harris will replace Troy Dannen, who left in December to be the athletic director at Tulane University in New Orleans. Dannen had been with UNI since 2008.

“I am ecstatic that David and his family are becoming a part of the Panther family,” said President Bill Ruud in a press release. “I know that his knowledge will not only benefit our student athletes and athletic department staff but the University of Northern Iowa as a whole.”

Jean Berger was named interim director of athletics during Dannen’s absence. Berger joined UNI as senior associate athletic director and senior woman administrator in October 2008. She was promoted to deputy athletic director in July 2015. She is also the direct supervisor for women’s basketball, soccer, softball, tennis, and volleyball.

Harris is currently the senior associate athletic director at Iowa State University and serves as the sports administrator for football, men’s basketball and wrestling. Before his work at Iowa State, Harris graduated in 1995 with an MBA from the University of Mississippi. Two promotions at Ole Miss boosted him to senior staff in 2002. He then worked as the associate athletic director – student services at the University of Wisconsin from 2002-2006.

“UNI has a fantastic academic appreciation and UNI has been successful in multiple sports for multiple years,” Harris said about why he chose UNI. “With my conversations with President Ruud and my colleagues, everyone has said great things about UNI. I want us to be excellent in every way both on and off of the field.”

David Harris will assume his new role at UNI on March 28.