Women’s volleyball sweeps the competition at Michigan Invitational

Piper+Thomas+and+Linsey+Schulz+get+up+to+try+and+block+the+opposing+teams+shot.+This+year+the+MVC+volleyball+tournament+will+be+held+here+in+Cedar+Falls.+

Northern Iowan Archives

Piper Thomas and Linsey Schulz get up to try and block the opposing team’s shot. This year the MVC volleyball tournament will be held here in Cedar Falls.

BRENNAN WHISLER, Sports Writer

The UNI volleyball team started the season out fast this year at the Michigan Invitational. They won the first match on Friday against Miami, OH without dropping a set by a score of 25-17, 25-19 and 25-17.

It was their first season starting sweep since 2013. The Panthers then advanced to Saturday’s double header and swept St. Louis 3-0 by a set score of 20-25, 25-14 and 25-17. The Panthers did end up losing later in the day to the tournament host, Michigan, 3-0 by set score of 25-21, 25-20 and 25-21.
In the Miami match preseason First Team All-MVC SR Kayla Haneline led the way on offense with 10 kills. Additionally, sophomore Bri Weber helped lead the defense with 15 digs.
The MVP of the match would have to go to junior Heather Hook, who had 36 assists, eight digs, five kills and three blocks. That is more assists than all 16 other girls who saw playing time combined.  

In the St. Louis match, Haneline once more led the offense with 12 kills and helped out the defense with three block assists. Hook led the defense with seven dig, three blocks and two solo blocks.

Seniors Arni Held and Weber both recorded double-doubles in both kills and digs; Held finished with 10 and 10, Weber finished with 11 and 11, just barely up one. With that win UNI started 2-0 for the first time since 2011.

The tournament finale was a relatively close affair despite the straight set sweep. The Panthers came back from 19-12 in the first set to tie it at 21 all, before Michigan pulled away.

Michigan thoroughly controlled the second set once they took the early 7-6 lead. The third set was similar to the first with UNI closing the gap and Michigan pulling away at the end. Weber led the team on offense with 13 kills, while Held helped the defense with 15 digs and 2 blocks.

At the end of the weekend UNI finished second in the tournament to the host Michigan. While losing what was essentially the invitational title game was tough, the Panthers beat the teams they should have and put up a good fight against what was on paper a better team.

Michigan is just outside the top 25 lists and struggled to close out sets against UNI. The team also got to test out plenty of different players while still giving the core group a place to flex their muscles. At the end of the tournament both Held and Haneline were named to the All-Tournament team.

A positive showing at the Michigan Invitational sets UNI up for what could be a successful season.