BSU welcomes new students

KATIE BAUGHMAN, Campus Life Editor

If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late. This is the name of an event UNI’s Black Student Union (BSU) is holding on Wednesday at 6 p.m. The question and answer based is being held to inform students of what they can expect of UNI.

Brianne Baylor, junior communication major and president of BSU, said they chose this name due to Drake’s popularity amongst college aged students. She also stressed inclusion within BSU.

“First and foremost, you do not have to be black to be in BSU. I like to make sure that all students know that they are welcome,” said Baylor.

Taraya Johnson, sophomore political science major and vice president of BSU, said members of BSU will be sharing stories and experiences with students to give them a better feel for what UNI is all about. They will have some questions prepared ahead of time, but attendees will also have the opportunity to ask questions of their own.

“BSU just wants to give information no one was able to give us [when] we came in,” said Johnson. “I get most excited about being able to be a resource for students who are new to UNI.”

Baylor shared what she hopes to express through holding this event.

“I want [students] to know that someone is there for them and a lot of things that they are feeling or are trying to process, they are more than likely not the only ones,” said Baylor.

BSU holds various events throughout the school year and is looking forward to holding some new and returning events this year.

There will be a student and faculty meet and greet on Sept. 14 and a Homecoming party on Oct. 1, an event that was held in previous years.

Additionally, BSU is tentatively holding a wine and paint night, as well as a lip sync battle or open mic night.

BSU will hold their first general body meeting on Sept. 1 at 7p.m. in the Oak Room for students who are interested in getting involved within the organization.