Women’s team wins two on the road

LOGAN WINFORD

Kennedy Kirkpatrick (23) looks for an opening in Loyola’s defense. In UNI’s most recent 89-43 win over the Ramblers, Kirkpatrick had seven points and one steal

BRENNAN WHISLER, Sports Writer

The Northern Iowa women’s basketball team managed to pull out two wins this past weekend. The first came by way of steamrolling the Loyola Ramblers 89-43. This was the second straight 80-plus point game for UNI and second overall on the season. The other win came against the Indiana State Sycamores (ISU) in overtime, 61-59. It is UNI’s first overtime win this season, the only other instance was a double overtime loss to Drake.

The first quarter versus the Ramblers started off back and forth with a few lead changes until UNI hit an 18-2 run in the last five minutes to finish the quarter 26-12. The second quarter saw UNI pile on as they reached a halftime lead of 47-20. From there the UNI bench showed out in the second half to ice the game and reach the 43-point victory margin.

For the first time this season, no player saw 25 minutes of playing time and the UNI bench scored 63 of the total points. Quite a few players reached career highs for multiple categories, but the most complete game was turned in by redshirt freshman Heidi Hillyard. She turned in seven points, eight rebounds and six assists; the last two are career highs. She did it in 23 minutes while only notching two turnovers.

The Sunday game started with nearly identical quarters before ISU went up 15-6. The second quarter saw ISU only score six points themselves while UNI managed to get 9-10 free throws in the last 1:30 of the half to pull within one, 21-20.

The second half played out very close to the first as both teams recorded an 18 point quarter. UNI managed to go up 51-49 with 2:30 left, but a layup tied them and sent the game into overtime. The first overtime point gave ISU a one-point lead after a missed free throw. UNI made one field goal in the extra five minutes, but hit 8-10 free throws to claw their way out. While everyone who played made key plays, senior Madison Weekly dominated, totaling 20 points, three rebounds and three steals. She also went a game-high 9-10 from the charity stripe.

UNI’s next game is in Des Moines against Drake. A win secures at least a tie for second place in the Mississippi Valley Conference before the tourney. It could also force a tie for first if Drake loses again to the Panthers. UNI can’t finish worse than solo third. There are three games left in the season.