Panthers attend Bill Cornell Spring Classic

UNI

Freshman Maria Gonzalez opens for the women’s hurdle relay.

ZACH HUNTLEY, Sports Writer

The UNI men and women’s track and field team returned from the Bill Cornell Spring Classic this weekend with four individual titles. Additionally, a number of Panther athletes took top-five finishes against their nine opposing teams and a number of unattached competitors.

For the sprinters, sophomore Corey Hertz took second in the men’s 400-meter with a time of 48.45 seconds, securing sixth place in the 200-meter as well. Freshman Jasmine Blue earned her spot at third in the women’s 400-meter by finishing in 59.29 seconds.

Teammates Madisen Irmen and Maddie Bell had made back-to-back finishes in the 200-meter, taking fourth and fifth place with nearly inseparable times of 25.10 and 25.11 seconds, respectively.

In the 800-meter, sophomore Jordan Pingel clinched the Classic title with a time of 1:53.99, while junior Lindsey Kite took second at 2:14.76. Kite fell short of the title by a mere 2.15 seconds.

Keeping even closer to the competition was sophomore Lyndsie Schinkel, who took second in the women’s 1500-meter with 4:65.78, only a shocking 0.13 seconds away from first.

The Panther hurdlers performed exceptionally, with 9 top-five finishes in the four events. Starting with the men’s 110-meter hurdles, UNI stole the spotlight as senior Jon Rus, sophomore Cole Phillips and sophomore Daurice Fountain took the top-three ranks in the event, all finishing within a second of each other. Rus finished in 14.18 seconds, Phillips in 14.49 seconds and Fountain in 14.56 seconds.

Junior Lauren Frederick and freshman Abbie Ranschau took second and fourth place in the women’s 100-hurdle, as well. Frederick and Ranschau recorded 14.79 and 15.27 second finishes, respectively.

Frederick came back to place third in the 400-meter hurdle, as well — earning her spot with 1:06.06 achievement. Taking first, second and fifth in the 400-hurdle were freshman Jacob Smith, freshman Carter Von Essen and Rus. The men finished in 53.49, 56.19 and 57.66 seconds.

Shifting to the 4×100 relay, the women’s team took second and fourth with 47.37 and 48.38 seconds while the men’s team took third with 41.48 seconds.

Off the track, junior Kassidy Sharp notched the high jump title with a 1.66 meter leap, and was followed close behind by freshman Maria Gonzalez, who recorded a 1.56 meter jump.

In the men’s discus, sophomore Isaac Holtz grabbed second with a 51.54 meter throw, and Panther Evan Colfack followed with a 48.87 meter toss.

The women earned marks in the throws as well, with freshman Allison Griffin taking the shot put title after recording a distance of 13.79 meters.

Hope Koerperich threw 47.43 meters in the women’s discus for third place, with Sarah Pate close behind with a 46.48 meter throw for fourth. Pate also notched second with a distance of 55.79 meters in the hammer throw.