In Good Time

• “My father, in the dining room, Bridgeville, VA,” is featured in the “In Good Time” exhibition in the Kamerick Art Building.

• Pictured is “Jordan Up The Pole, Russell Heights, Cobh, Ireland.” (2010) This is one of many photographs on display in the “In Good Time” exhibition.

SYDNEY HAUER, Executive Editor | [email protected]

It’s a good time to visit “In Good Time,” a retrospective exhibition featuring the three main bodies of work by New York-based photographer Doug DuBois. The exhibition is located in the UNI Gallery of Art in the Kamerick Art Building (KAB).

“Our idea for the gallery is always for our exhibitions to serve a pedagogical purpose,” said Darrell Taylor, director of the art gallery. “They need to connect with the students in a very, very intimate way.”

Taylor was approached by the Aperture Foundation, through whom obtaining this exhibition was made possible. They were interested in bringing a show to UNI’s art gallery.

The Aperture Foundation is, according to their website, “a not-for-profit foundation, connects the photo community and its audiences with the most inspiring work, the sharpest ideas and with each other — in print, in person and online.”

When the prospect of bringing a photography exhibition to the gallery arose, Taylor met with photography professor Noah Doely to discuss whose exhibition they should bring. They ultimately decided that DuBois’ work would be right for the space and the current students.

DuBois is an artist based out of Syracuse, New York, where he works as an associate professor at Syracuse University.

His work has been exhibited in many high-profile institutions, such as the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in New York City, the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles and the Library of Congress in Washington D.C., according to the artist’s website.

The exhibition encompasses the three main bodies of DuBois’ work, spanning from the mid-1980s to the present.

“This first body of work is principally about his father’s near-fatal accident,” Taylor said. “His second body of work has to do with a mining community in Pennsylvania, where his mother comes from, and the last body of work is some youth that he met when he was in Cobh, Ireland. He is most interested in portraiture and how people occupy and represent their space.”

The images that DuBois captures are most often portraits of people naturally in their environment or staged to some degree. DuBois has a penchant for capturing impactful photographs that delight and inspire viewers.

“A lot of the photographs are of his immediate family,” Doely said. “They show moments that are often very intimate — sometimes uncomfortably so. There’s a lot of vulnerability that’s present in the images. I think that his photographs would be interesting and thought provoking to most people on a very human level.”

In addition, DuBois will be visiting campus to give an artist lecture on the evening of Sept. 7, separate from the exhibition.

“We brought in Doug DuBois separately to talk about his career,” Taylor said. “One of the key objectives of our mission is not only put up exhibitions by contemporary artists, but to bring the artists here so that the students can hear them and talk to them face to face. It’s a relationship we try to build between students and working artists.”

Doely encourages all students to visit the exhibition — not just students in the art department.

“Art is something that touches everything; it reflects the world around us,” Doely said. “The photographs in his exhibition are not just for people who are artists. They have much to say about the poetics and difficulties of life. I feel like that’s something that should be of interest to everyone — not just people who are studying art.”

Taylor believes that it’s important for students outside of the art department to visit the gallery because it offers a new perspective.

“The purpose of students coming to university is to expand their perspective on their own interests,” Taylor said.  “It’s to take them into other worlds and make them more holistic thinkers.”

“In Good Time” will be on display until Saturday, Sept. 30. The UNI Gallery of Art is open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday through Thursday, and Friday and Saturday from noon to 5 p.m.

The artist lecture will take place on Sept. 7 at 6 p.m. in room 111 of the Kamerick Art Building, with a reception taking place afterwards.