Students showcase Latino heritage

KIRBY DAVIS, Staff Writer

On Thursday, Sept. 28, the Center for Multicultural Education sponsored its last event in partnership with Latino Heritage Week — the Latino Heritage Showcase.

This event offered students an opportunity to showcase their talents, all the while  educating others about Latin American culture and traditions.

Talents included singing, dancing and a one-man mariachi band.

Jay Ramones, a graduate student from San Antonio, Texas, demonstrated three of the five instruments commonly used in mariachi music: the acoustic guitar, the violin and the trumpet. He also educated the audience about the music and the attire he wore.

In addition to mariachi, other forms of Latin American music and dance were showcased, such as merengue.

Throughout the event, the audience also gained insight to the challenges and emotional struggles that Latino individuals experience every day.

Itzel Chavez, a UNI student, performed an original written piece in which she relived the emotional challenges of growing up as an undocumented individual.

To close out the night, Ramones teamed up with Cynthia Montoya, a sophomore Spanish and TESOL major. The two serenaded the audience with a performance that was infused with emotion.

Numerous student organizations came together to host Thursday’s showcase, as well as the rest of the events that comprised Latino Heritage Week. Among these were Unidos, Panthers for DREAM Iowa, Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc. and Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity Inc. — UNI Colony.

“Latino Heritage Week doesn’t have to end here,” said Sharline Berry, a junior political communication major. “Next year, stay tuned, because it’s going to be bigger and better.”