UNI volleyball improves record to 17-5

JOSHUA STENGER

Junior Bri Weber (4) serves the ball during a recent home game.

EMMETT LYNCH, Sports Writer

The UNI Panther volleyball team had quite an eventful weekend that led to improving their record to 17-5. The Panthers went undefeated and knocked off Indiana State on their court in a sweep win of 3-0.

Bri Weber led the Panthers with 20 kills and a .514 hitting percentage in the matchup, which was a career best for her. Sophomore Karlie Taylor added her team leading 11th double-double this season with 11 digs and 11 kills.

UNI recorded a 78 percent wideout number in their win against the Sycamores. The Panthers then went on to sweep their next opponent the next day with a 3-0 win against Evansville, another Missouri Valley foe.

This victory marked the 18th consecutive win and a 48-1 all time record against the Purple Aces. The Panthers offense was very balanced, with Piper Thomas and Karlie Taylor each having 11 kills. Freshman Jaydlin Seehase added to the box score with nine kills, which helped complete the weekend sweep for the Panthers in the Missouri Valley.

UNI continued their dominance in the MVC with another 3-0 sweep win against Southern Illinois in the McLeod Center. Weber notched her 1,000th career kill, becoming the 11th member of UNI’s 1,000/1,000 club, with 1,145 digs to match her kills.

Weber recorded her 44th career double-double against the Salukis with 15 digs and 11 kills. Taylor also led the attack with her fourth straight double-double with 16 kills and 13 digs. She notched a career-high five service aces.

The Panthers’ seven game win streak was snapped this past Saturday against Missouri State in a 1-3 loss during Hawaiian Night in the McLeod Center. Thomas had the team high of 20 kills. Taylor had her 15th straight double-figure kill match with 19 digs and 11 kills. Heather Hook also recorded a double-double with 51 assists and 12 digs.

This was a tough loss for the Panthers, but the cats plan to bounce back this Tuesday, Oct. 17, at the McLeod Center against Drake University.