Like father, like son: a tradition continues

ZACHARIAH HUNTLEY, Staff Writer

UNI senior Michael Madden and his father, Todd Madden, lived surprisingly similar lives throughout their college years. The two were drawn to UNI’s campus for its scholarly reputation, the beautiful campus and its size. When they got to UNI, their first two years were spent in the “Quads,” where they each made lasting relationships and had a blast doing it.

The similarities became eerie, however, when Michael unknowingly moved into the house that his father had lived in 30 years ago.

“Living in the dorms was just an awesome experience,” said Todd, who spent his first year in Noehren and his second in Rider. “We had a lot of theme parties. This will really date me, but back then, we would have punk-rock parties. We would dress up like punk-rockers, cut loose, and just have a blast — same with Halloween parties.”

When it was nice out, Todd and his friends would be outside of the dorms playing hacky sack or golfing. If it was pouring, it was the perfect time for some muddy flag-football.

Three decades later, his son would be outside in the same lawn throwing a football and spending Halloween with his new group of guys.

“We just got really close with everyone really easily, and I feel like everybody appreciated that so much,” Michael said. “The dorms were awesome; I don’t have any regrets.”

Like most college students, once they left the comfort of the dorms, Todd and Michael both grew to be more responsible and independent. Unlike most college students, they learned these lessons under the same roof.

After looking around at different properties to live in for his senior year, Michael called his father to fill him in on the process.

“[Michael] told me it was off the corner of campus off a side street, and that there was a lower level and an upper level and it had pillars on the front of it,” Todd said. “And as soon as he said that, it clicked that that was exactly the same house that I lived in my junior year.”

Trying to explain the phenomena, Michael said, “I think back to ‘That ‘70s Show’. Watching that show reminds me of the fashion and the era as a whole, and coming here I tried to put myself back in the time my dad lived here and how it was different, and how they might have decorated things or changed things, or what has changed since then. It’s pretty cool to imagine my dad walking around and making breakfast on the same stove top we make breakfast on. Things like that are cool and eye-opening.”

Todd said they would host volleyball parties and summer grill-outs at the place.

When asked if he thought his dad had any parties at the place, Michael added, “Oh, I’m sure he did. He liked his beer.”

The bond this duo shares extends far beyond their experiences at UNI. Todd graduated in 1987 with a general studies degree and a minor in business, and Michael is on track to graduate in the spring with a construction management degree.

After learning the industry for a few years, Michael will be a fifth-generation owner of Madden Construction — where he will continue a legacy his great-great-grandfather left behind.

Madden Construction is primarily focused on in-fill residential construction in the central Des Moines area and has been in business for over 60 years.

“It’s pretty humbling and really cool the fact that it’s all been within a family,” Mike said. “It’s pretty rare to have five generations of one bloodline run a business. You usually see a crack somewhere, a skip in a generation, or different leadership stuff, but for four generations so far, they’ve pulled it off.

“I think [my dad’s] biggest thing is family — don’t think I’ve met more of a family man, really,” Mike said. “It’s cool to see; it’s almost motivating in a way. We have a great relationship. He’s taught me a lot, a lot about work ethic and a general sense of pride and being a man.”

“I feel like Michael and I are very similar in a lot of ways,” Todd said. “We have the same really good common-sense work ethic. When we do work together, it’s like we’ve been together for a long time — we know exactly what to do. I think Michael is going to be a great fit to the company. I think our relationship is an awesome one.”