Volleyball Shutout

EMMETT LYNCH, Sports Writer

The Northern Iowa Volleyball team is on another three-game win streak, coming off a loss to Missouri State that ended their previous seven-game win streak. This was UNI’s first 7-0 start in league play since the start of the 2014 Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) slate.

The Panthers bounced back to another streak beginning in the McLeod Center against Drake University for the university’s ‘Pink Game.’ UNI swept Drake with a 3-0 win. Junior Bri Weber led the way with 21 kills and 14 digs. Weber’s 21 kills were the most for a Panther in a three-set match since 2008. Sophomore Karlie Taylor recorded her 16th straight double-figure kill match and her sixth consecutive double-double with 10 kills and 20 digs. Junior Piper Thomas added 11 kills and 22 attempts with no errors against Drake.

Volleyball went on to quickly defeat the Loyola Ramblers on 80’s night in the McLeod Center in another 3-0 sweep at home. UNI is still perfect against the Ramblers in the all-time series with an updated record of 17-0.

The Panthers posted a .379 hitting percentage in the matchup with 43 kills. Karlie Taylor added another double-figure kill match recording 12 kills, and Piper Thomas continued her dominance in the MVC with a .733 hitting percentage and 11 kills.

The Panthers got a run for their money against the Valparaiso Crusaders in a tightly-contested match in UNI’s Purple Pride Game.

The Panthers fought off a match point in a 3-2 win triumph to score their 20th win of the season. Thomas recorded a match-high 22 kills and has posted 45 kills in the two matches played against Valparaiso this season.

Karlie Taylor set a career-high six blocks and also posted her 18th consecutive double-figure kill match with 19 kills and her eighth straight double-double with 14 digs. Moriah Johnson made a key play with a huge block against Valparaiso’s Katherine Carlson to tie the set at 25-25.

UNI then went on to win the match 29-27, securing their 20th win. This is the 35th 20-win season in Panther history. UNI is now 20-5 overall and 10-1 in the Missouri Valley Conference. The Panthers will be back on the road to take on Illinois State this Friday, Oct. 27, at 7 p.m.