Campaign urges students to ‘refill’

The Refill not Landfill campaign aims to reduce the number of bottles thrown away by giving away free water bottles on Oct. 31 across campus.

COURTESY PHOTO

ANNA FLANDERS, Staff Writer

Since fall 2015, UNI has helped students refill 2.5 million water bottles by providing water refill stations at 65 locations on campus. These refill stations are located alongside drinking fountains in residence halls, Maucker Union, Rod Library and other campus buildings.

For those who do not possess a reusable drinking vessel and thus are unable to take advantage of these modern day watering holes, have no fear.

On Oct. 31, the Recycling and Reuse Technology Transfer Center (RRTTC), in conjunction with the UNI Office of Sustainability, Northern Iowa Student Government (NISG) and AmeriCorps, will be hosting Refill Not Landfill.

With this event, students can pick up a free water bottle at Maucker Union, Rod Library, the Curris Business Building, the Schindler Education Center and the Wellness/Recreation Center (WRC). Specific times for each location can be found on the RRTTC’s website.

“If we could just use the tap, which is actually healthier for you and is actually more regulated by the EPA than bottled water, it’s a little bit better all around: for your health, for the environment, for your pocketbook and all those things,” said Jenny Bruss, the program and outreach coordinator for the RRTTC.

According to Bruss, taking advantage of reusable water bottles can be 2000 to 10,000 times cheaper than buying disposable water bottles. In addition, she says manufacturing disposable water bottles is wasteful.

“[By using reusable water bottles], we don’t need to manufacture the plastics to buy bottled water. So, we’re saving energy and oil,” Bruss explained. “Apparently, it takes three liters of water to make one liter of bottled water. So, it’s kind of counterproductive.”

Throughout the month of November, the RRTTC will be giving updates on the number of water bottles that are being refilled on campus.

They are hoping that the difference between Nov. 1 and Nov. 30 is significant.

“There’s people with habits, and it takes a good month to develop a habit,” Bruss said. “So, we’re hoping to be able to do that. That was kind of the point of also giving away the water bottles — if you’re not in that habit, we’d love to get you started.”