Men’s team splits exhibition games at 1-1

MIKE DUNLOP/Courtesy

Isaiah Brown (24) scored 48 points from the bench last season as a two-game starter.

JERRIUS CAMPBELL, Sports Writer

The University of Northern Iowa’s men’s basketball team fell short against Wisconsin during their first preseason exhibition game in the Cheese State on Nov. 1. The final score after regulation was 69-38.

The Panthers, on the offensive end, only made 40 percent of their shots in the first half as the Panthers shot 8-20 from the field.

Sophomore Juwan McCloud scored the first 10 points of the game, putting the Panthers up 10-2 in the first four minutes.

The eight point edge did not last long, as the Badgers would go on a 20-2 run. At the end of intermission, the Badgers led 35-18. Offense seemed to be absent in the first half for the Panthers, but McCloud ended the first half 5-9 from field goal range.

At the beginning of the second half, the Panthers jumped out to a quick seven points. Isaiah Brown and Tywon Pickford brought UNI closer, 35-25. The Badgers would then go on a big 27-3, run increasing their lead to 62-25.

The Panthers shot 26 percent from the field in the second half, and only made 3-12 from the three point range. After a rough first game, the Panthers team then hosted UNC Pembroke for their first home game of the year.

Brown scored three points and recorded three steals in the first half of play. Spencer Haldeman came off the bench and knocked down four three-pointers. The Panthers were strong at the free throw line, making six of their nine attempts in the first half. The Panthers shot 37 percent from the field in the first half.

UNI scored ten points in the first half off of second chance points, and at intermission UNI led Pembroke 37-23. After the halftime break, UNI continued to find the bottom of the net. Haldeman went 6-6 from the free throw line, while freshman Tywon Pickford would score all 15 of his points in the second half, shooting 4-8 from the field and adding on four free throws.

Pickford would finish the game with a 15 point double-double, recording 11 rebounds. Haldeman ended the game with 20 points to help the Panther beat UNC Pembroke at their home opener.

The Panthers will hit the road to play North Carolina in their first regular season match up. North Carolina were the NCAA national champions last season, and look to hold their spot in the ACC, while North Carolina is ranked ninth in the nation.

Coach Roy Williams looks to make it to the NCAA tournament despite losing his four of his five starters from last season.