Art director says farewell to NI

IRIS FRASHER

Art director Iris Frasher pens a farewell column reflecting on her time at the Northern Iowan.

IRIS FRASHER, Art Director

I’ve spent all of my nine semesters (yes, I changed my major a little late — whoops!) here at the Northern Iowan. I’ve moved from a photographer and staff writer up to the editorial staff as the art director, a position I’ve held for two and a half years, where I’ve laid out over 120 front pages.

In my time here, both at the paper and at UNI, I have grown exponentially as a person. I went from being a timid freshman to a firm, strong individual who knows what is best for herself.

This didn’t come without hardships. Literal tears, sweat and blood go into the making of this paper, which I think is something that most students, staff and faculty don’t realize.

The creation of the newspaper is a vastly unknown and mysterious process. I think most students (and “most” may be a little optimistic) just assume that a new issue magically appears most Mondays and Thursdays during the school year.

The editorial staff does not sit in our dungeon-like office twiddling our thumbs all day waiting for news to happen. We are students, too, with hectic student schedules — even more hectic because of the paper, sometimes added with second and third jobs, plus extracurricular activities and clubs.

However, that does not mean that we don’t take our jobs as journalists and news media workers seriously. I think now is a difficult time for journalism — now, more than ever. With sensationalized websites and headlines, it is hard for people to trust us.

I understand.

However, that makes it even more vital to provide the most truthful, factual stories we can. Even if we are “just” a college newspaper, we aspire to hold ourselves to high standards. If you, as a reader, ever have any questions, concerns or criticisms of the Northern Iowan, please express them to us.

We are here for the students, and your opinion matters dearly to us.

Now, for the sentimental part. I want to extend my dearest “thank you’s” to everyone who has impacted me at the paper, past and present.

I want to thank our manager, backbone and biggest cheerleader, Michele Smith, who goes above and beyond for the staff, who she affectionately calls her “darlin’s.” You stick by our decisions, no matter how questionable, and support us no matter what.

Laura Smith: our advisor, who is never afraid to give us her honest opinion to help improve the paper’s content. And who isn’t afraid to answer our questions about Vikings and life in general.

Kirby: who makes us cookies when we don’t deserve it.

Sierra: our managing editor, for being there to help me whenever I have questions and to help provide us with Vine (RIP) compilations and YouTube videos that keep us going. Without you, layout would be impossible.

Jacob, Josh, Dylan and Leziga: my fellow editors, who never fail to make a layout…interesting, to say the least. You guys have done an amazing job helping lead our staff and are not afraid to put in extra work that you don’t have to. You guys are like family.

All of the writing and photography staff: without you guys, the paper would not be possible. I am so happy you have decided to work for the paper, and I hope you continue to grow with it for years to come!

To Chris and the Northern Iowan board: thank you for what you do. I can’t imagine overseeing us can be easy, but it must be done, and you do it well!

Nick: I guess I had to include you, since you’re still on campus (just kidding). You were a great executive editor during the years of your reign, and you set up the foundation that made our current successes possible. I am so proud of you for getting a job at the university; no one deserved it more than you.

Gabby: my successor, who I’ve watched grow before my own eyes. You might be nervous, but don’t be. You will be amazing, and if you’re ever scared or worried about your new duties, remember that you’re backed by a whole team of people who support you and are there if you ever need help.

And finally, the current executive editor, my best friend and roommate: Clinton. You are one of the most thoughtful, emotional, quirky, sweet and endearing humans I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. So kind that he would never harm a fly (I can’t say the same for “fast bugs”) but very fiery in what he’s passionate about. I know you will leave the NI off even better than how you found it. I love you dearly, friend!

While I’m undoubtedly nervous and fearful for what’s to come after I cross that stage and move my tassel, I want to take a moment and pause, and I want other soon-to-be grads to pause with me.

Look at where we are. Look at the hardships we’ve overcome. Take a moment and be proud of that, and remember that this is only a fraction of our lives. More good things are surely to come.