Panther Portrait: Night at the Apollo

KIRBY DAVIS, Staff Writer

The Black Student Union (BSU) kicked off Black History Month with “Night at The Apollo” this past Friday, Feb. 2. The event was inspired by the famous Apollo Theater in Harlem, New York, which brings in a variety of live entertainment experiences.

Yakira Sanders, a junior social work major and current BSU president, discussed the inspiration for the event.

“We’ve always had talent shows, but we wanted to do something different where we could allow people from the community to come and participate,” Sanders said.

The show included solo artists, as well as a dancing group, an up-and-coming rapper and poetry.

The MC for the night was Wes B, a local artist from Waterloo, who instructed the audience on the proper way to applaud poetry and introduced the night’s various performers.

Anthony Cortez, also known as “King Tez,” is a junior business marketing major and aspiring rapper who performed on Friday.

“Tonight was very nerve-racking,” Cortez said. “Then, when I get on stage, it feels like I’m at home, honestly.”

Cortex said that he has rarely performed live, but that he has plans to release his first EP in May.

In addition to the performances themselves, the participants also had the opportunity to address a variety of struggles faced in today’s society, from being a pansexual African American mother to growing up in a house marked by domestic abuse.

“There’s a lot of negativity in the world, and I just feel like spreading the message of loving each other and knowing that, regardless of our skin color, that we are all humans at the end of the day,” Cortez said.

BSU is hosting 12 events throughout the month of February to celebrate Black History Month, according to Sanders.

“This month is really important to us, just to celebrate all the things that we’ve been through, our success, all the things that our ancestors did for us to lead the path,” Sanders said.

The BSU’s next event, “Same, Same, Different,” will be co-hosted by BSU, the Center for Multicultural Education and the African Union. The panel discussion will be held today, Feb. 5 at 6 p.m. in the Maucker Union Coffeehouse.