Panther Portrait: Black History Month Lip Sync Battle

KIRBY DAVIS, Staff Writer

On Monday, Feb. 12, the Black Student Union (BSU) teamed up with the Campus Activities Board (CAB) to host the first ever Lip Sync Battle in Lang Auditorium.

The event was inspired by “Lip Sync Battle,” a popular television show hosted by LL Cool J and Chrissy Teigen where celebrities give lip sung performances of popular songs.

Some of the performances this past Monday included renditions of popular songs such as Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies,” Kanye West’s “Gold Digger” and “My Girl” by The Temptations. Not only were the performing students lip syncing to these songs, but they were also showing off their dancing moves as the music played.

Dejah Covington, a sophomore family services major with a minor in psychology, was one of the students in attendance on Monday.

“It went good,” Covington said. “There wasn’t a lot of people, but I feel as if we didn’t need a lot of people; just the environment and the vibe that we got was really fun and chill.”

The performers encouraged the audience members to participate, many of whom sung along and mouthed the words, while also dancing in their seats, the aisles and on stage.

Overall, the audience brought a lively attitude to the event with their continuous cheers and applauds.

Covington, who also performed at the event, discussed the experience.

“It was exciting,” Covington said. “It was fun being on stage and seeing everyone crowding for me and laughing; it was fun for me!”

In total, Monday’s Lip Sync Battle featured over a dozen performances from multiple single acts, as well as a few group acts.

BSU’s Lip Sync Battle was just one of many events the organization is hosting on UNI’s campus throughout February for Black History Month.  Covington, a member of BSU, urged students to attend the rest of the various BSU-sponsored events this month.

“Teach yourself, learn, love and come to our events!” Covington said. “Just have a good time and remember why we have Black History Month.”

The next Black History Month event will be a showing of the new Marvel Studios movie “Black Panther” at Marcus College Square Cinema on Tuesday, Feb. 20. BSU is sponsoring transportation to the screening, as well as 30 free movie tickets.