Relay for Life clothing swap

NI ARCHIVES

The Relay for Life clothing swap allows students and community members to donate clothes or take some home with them for $5, in an effort to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

PEYTON HUSMANN, Staff Writer

On Monday, Feb. 19, UNI’s Relay for Life will be hosting a clothing swap from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Maucker Union Ballroom.

It costs five dollars to participate, and all of the proceeds will be going to the American Cancer Society.

The event is also open to the public.

“People can get clothes for a low price,” said Katrina Ganschow, an executive for Relay for Life and senior elementary education major. “Anything you want to get rid of, we’ll take.”

The five-dollar participation fee for the event will allow people to both take clothes and donate clothes. People can donate or take as many or as little clothes as they would like.

Ganschow said that last year there was a girl who filled up an entire garbage bag full of clothes.

Then all she had to do was donate five dollars and she was able to take all of them.

“Our goal is to raise money for the American Cancer Society, then give back to the community,” Ganschow said.

Ganschow commented that she will be donating leftover clothes from the event to people in need in the community.

“The cool thing about the swap is that I donate the leftover clothes to places in need,” Ganschow said. “For example, last year I donated everything to Riverview Center, which is a place where individuals that have been affected by sexual assault or domestic violence can go.”

Ganschow said that she is still in the process of looking for a place to donate the clothes this year, but she plans on donating them to a local homeless shelter.

The clothing swap will accept men’s, women’s and children’s clothes.

Ganschow said that not only will this benefit the American Cancer Society, but it will benefit the community as well.

“Individuals not only participating in the swap are benefiting, but the community is benefitting as well,” Ganschow said.