LGBT representation in ‘Love, Simon’

TNS

Opinion columnist Jordan Allen stresses the cultural impact that the new film “Love, Simon” has had in terms of LGBT representation.

JORDAN ALLEN, Opinion Columnist

The coming-out story of the century is finally here, as “Love, Simon” hit theaters last month. Simon is a normal kid with a normal family, living a normal life, except there’s one small thing no one knows about him: Simon is gay.

As we follow Simon’s journey trying to accept who he is, an anonymous person at his school reveals online that they are gay. Simon instantly makes a random Gmail account to contact “Blue,” the hidden gay, and soon enough, forms a bond with the one person he feels some sort of connection with.

Simon becomes filled with pressure as he is blackmailed by a student who threatens to reveal Simon is gay if he doesn’t help him. He keeps the blackmail a secret from his friends, creating drama and confusion between their group.

Not only does Simon start to finally build up courage because he finally knows he’s not alone, but he becomes comfortable with himself throughout the process of it all. This movie has many twists and turns and, as a result, the audience is constantly left guessing who the anonymous person is that Simon is starting to fall for.

This is much more than a movie, though; this is a movie about a gay teenager learning to accept who he is and find the strength to come out. Yes, I said it, GAY.

I know it might be hard to believe, but with a society that is becoming accepting of self- expression and identities, more movies in the LGBT community are coming to the forefront.

Not only is this movie’s main character gay, but there are also two lead African-American roles, as well. LGBT representation and African-American leading roles are becoming more prominent within today’s society.

And this isn’t the only gay movie to grab major attention within the last few years. “Moonlight,” directed by Barry Jenkins, snatched three Oscars last year, including “Best Picture.”

As everyone was anxiously waiting to see if the mastermind behind “Get Out” would grab an Oscar this year, Jordan Peele defied the odds by winning “Best Original Screenplay.” These movies, along with the extremely popular release of “Black Panther,” have helped shine more light upon the talent amongst African Americans and people in the LGBT community.

“Love, Simon” is what the world needed. The world needs gay representation. The world needs people to see that it’s okay to be queer or questioning yourself, that it’s okay and normal to feel the way you do.

But the world also needs gays and African Americans in the film industry, as well. For the kids who have been told they will never make it because of their skin color or sexual identity, this is what they needed.

For the kids who are too afraid to be themselves and for the kids who haven’t been able to find the courage to tell their family or friends yet, this is what they needed.

“Gay” is not normalized, and that’s why more films like “Love, Simon” are helping normalize the matter. This film is helping moviegoers see the battles that the LGBT community goes through and how it affects people on the individual level, as well.

As I sat in the theater watching “Love, Simon” the night it came out, the room was full of giggles, but plenty of sniffles, as well (and yes, I was one of those people in the audience wiping my tears away).

As a member of the LGBT community, this hit home for me. I have been in Simon’s position, and I have gone through the same struggles of acceptance that Simon experiences.

And that’s why this movie is so touching.

You feel the pain. You feel the pressure he feels about coming out. You feel the mental battle he deals with and the fear he is consumed with.

In the movie, Simon’s mother says, “the last few years, it’s like you’ve been holding in your breath, and now you can finally breath again.” Everyone should be able to breathe without the fear of being who they are, even Simon.