NBA Playoffs: Rockets lead power rankings

Pelicans forward Anthony Davis (23) blocking Los Angeles Clippers center DeAndre Jordan's (6) shot in their April 9 game at the Staples Center.

TNS

TNS

JERRIUS CAMPBELL, Sports Writer

As the NBA season comes to a close, the East has sealed playoff positions for the top eight teams.

The Toronto Raptors clinched the number one seed in the East, followed by the Boston Celtics in the second seed. The Philadelphia 76ers might be the third or fourth seed. What seed they will have will be based on what seed the Cavaliers get in the East.

The bottom four teams in the East are the Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks, Miami Heat and the Washington Wizards. The eighth and final seed will play the number one seed, while the seventh seed will meet the number two seed. 

As of press time, it looks like the Raptors will be playing the Wizards in the first round of the postseason.

As for the West, the bottom two teams are tied for the eighth seed. After a shake up in the West, the number one team is the Houston Rockets, followed by the Golden State Warriors. The Portland Trail Blazers are fighting for the third seed, depending on the last couple games. The Utah Jazz are in the five seed, and the New Orleans Pelicans have the fifth seed.

The San Antonio Spurs will make their 21st playoff appearance in a row as the sixth seed, the most by any franchise in history. The Oklahoma City Thunder hold the seventh seed with one game left to play as of press time.

Also as of Wednesday, the Denver Nuggets and the Minnesota Timberwolves will battle it out for the eighth spot to see who will make a playoff appearance on the final night of the regular season.

Minnesota is seeking their first postseason berth since their run to the 2004 Western Conference Finals.

James Harden still looks like the league’s most valuable player as of the last game he played, where he scored 21 points and 10 assists.

His team currently holds the top spot in power rankings, and when James Harden, Chris Paul and Clint Capela play, the Rockets are 41-3.