ISA hosts annual Diversity Showcase

KIRBY DAVIS, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, April 11, the International Student Association (ISA) held their annual Spring Diversity Showcase in the Maucker Union Coffee House. The theme of the event was “Diversity, Not Division,” which was incorporated into  trivia, activities and performances throughout the night.

There was a variety of activities at the event, including origami, henna, name translations in traditional languages, a sand mandala and a photobooth with traditional attire.

ISA also brought in street food from all over the world for those in attendance to sample.

Some of the food included lamb, rice, crepes with spiced apples and honey sauce, plus pearl tea. The pearl tea was sponsored by the PearlTea shop on University Avenue.

Planning for this event began last year, according to Deepthi Seelam, a senior business management major from India and the event coordinator for ISA.

“We’re spreading diversity, so it’s a good way for all the international students to show their cultures to everyone, and we also do join with the community,” Seelam said. “We had a Bosnia dance performance, so we do call other people that have diversity.”

Besides the cultural activities and food, there were also performers from a variety of countries and backgrounds. There were dance performances representing regions of India, Malaysia, Bosnia, Columbia and many others.

The performances were done in traditional clothing, and many were performed either in pairs or groups. The variety of performances reflected the theme of the event, showcasing the many different students and cultures on UNI’s campus.

Anjanah Nair, a senior financial management major from Malaysia, is the administration secretary for ISA.

“This year’s theme was ‘Diversity, Not Division,’ so it is nice that UNI accepts us as one and does not divide us,” Nair said. “Everyone should know that we are accepted as one, and they are not pushing us away.”

The students in attendance echoed this sentiment of acceptance by cheering, clapping and vocally supporting all the performers throughout the event.

Seelam shared some of the struggles of being an international student, such as having to be away from home for an extended period of time.

“It’s different, our weather is different, food and everything, but we do have some help, like ISP [International Student Promoters],” Seelam said. “They do help us and ISA […] so we don’t get homesick.”

Nair expressed hope in continuing the Spring Diversity Showcase for many years to come.

“I want the UNI students to know it is nice to have everyone come together and work hand in hand,” Nair said. “It will be great if they can, like everyone, continue this every year.”