Main Street, College Hill welcome students

• Students enjoyed games and food at the Panther Block PAWty on Main Street and College Hill on Friday, Aug. 17.

LEZIGA BARIKOR, Campus Life Editor | [email protected]

The sidewalks on College Hill and Main Street were teeming with new students Friday, Aug. 17, as Welcome Week festivities were underway.

Students were given wristbands as they entered the designated “Panther Block PAWty” areas to enjoy free games, samples and new sights.

“It’s a very good way to get students oriented with the area,” said Libby Loney, a freshman pre-nursing major.

On College Hill, many businesses had their doors propped open with welcome signs for new Panthers.

Students could receive free pizza samples from Dominoes and $5 Pizza.

On Main Street, store windows also featured many welcome back signs. Through various partnerships, games like “Plinko” were available for students to play and win prizes.

“I like how the stores had decorations welcoming Panthers,” said elementary education major Nicole Schaefers.

One featured game on College Hill was “bags” (also called “cornhole”) which allowed multiple groups of teams to play at one time despite the heat.

“We’re in Iowa, that’s why we’re playing bags,” said Drake Leek, a business marketing major.

Urban Pie, near Main Street, held karaoke for students, and those who participated were able to receive prizes. Main Street also featured colorful giant jenga and free popcorn.

“I think [Main Street is] so cute and it feels really safe,” said freshman marketing major Taylor Palmer.

The main feature of the block party was the participation of local businesses in a scavenger hunt.

“It’s just great to have all the new students discover what’s on the Hill,” said Barb Schilf, store manager at Mohair Pear. “Even though it’s so close, sometimes people don’t discover it until their sophomore year.”

This year, certain features of past block parties—such as the slip-and-slide—did not make a return appearance.