CAB to host pop culture game show

CAB will be hosting a pop culture gameshow on Thursday, Aug 30 at 8 p.m. in the Maucker Union Ballroom.

ALLISON MAZZARELLA, Staff Writer

The Campus Activities Board (CAB) will be bringing a game show event to the Maucker Union Ballroom on Aug. 30.  The event, Pop Culture Clash, will take place from 8 to 10 p.m. and feature question- based games of relevant pop culture topics.  

The organizers hope it will be an event where most people can participate.  CAB and the variety committee who planned the event hope to attract a diverse group of students and cater to everyone’s interests since recent news and pop culture is so diverse and relevant.

The information and questions for the game show will be presented and prompted by an emcee, and participants can play as an individual or with a team, using handsets to pick the correct answer.  

Dmitriy Holthaus, variety executive for CAB, describes it as a “fast-paced game.”

“There’s a lot more interaction compared to just sitting,” Holthaus said.

Holthaus came up with the idea last fall.  The variety committee is just one of many committees that make up CAB.  Others—such as spirit, publicity, film, to name a few—work on bringing different activities to campus, all of which are student-led.  Holthaus met with his committee to brainstorm ideas for this semester.

“I’m the person that starts conversation for my committee about what we want to do,” Holthaus said.  “I brought up some ideas and we talked about what might bring people there.  The game show [idea] kind of popped up.  I don’t think we’ve done one for a while, but people thought it would be interesting.”

Food and prizes will also be provided at the event.

To prepare for the turnout, committees typically judge attendance from past CAB events, which usually attract anywhere from 200 to 300 people.

CAB present different activities and events for the community, all of which are free. They typically have an event every week.

“It’s a way to get involved and get to know people,” Holthaus said of his own involvement with CAB.