UNI women’s soccer drops three of last four

Sitting at 2-3-2 this season, the Panthers women's soccer team faces a tough road ahead with conference play right around the corner.

NI ARCHIVES

NI ARCHIVES

PRESTON JENSEN, Sports Writer

The UNI women’s soccer team began their regular season on Aug. 19. Going into their season, the Panthers had high hopes.

“We expected to be successful and to continue the path we were on last season,” said head coach Bruce Erickson. “Graduating and replacing five senior and four of them starters was going to be a challenge but we have met that challenge, for the most part.”

Sitting with one win and two ties at the end of August, the Panthers suffered their first loss of the season on Aug. 31 to the VCU Rams in Iowa City.  Although they lost 2-0 to the Rams, there were some positive takeaways from the game.  Goaltender Jami Reichenberger kept up her great play with 11 saves throughout the game.  The Panthers also combined for four shots on goal.

UNI’s Sept. 2 match against Central Michigan was an exciting one.  Kelsey Yarrow scored the first goal of the game after being assisted by Hannah McDevitt.

At the end of regulation, the score was tied 1-1, and the teams were sent into overtime. Jordyn Rolli came through in the clutch to shoot the game winning goal, and give the Panthers the 2-1 win.

The Panthers then hit the road to face off with South Dakota State on Sept. 7 in Brookings, South Dakota.  The Panthers only allowed one goal, but unfortunately were unable to respond with a goal of their own.  Reichenberger defended nineteen shots with ten being on goal.  McDevitt came close to scoring with three shot attempts and two of them on goal as UNI fell 1-0.

The Panthers latest game was against North Dakota State on Sept. 9 which resulted in a 2-1 loss.  Sydney Hayden did manage to score a goal with some help from Rolli, who had the assist.

The UNI Panther women’s soccer team (2-3-2) will take the field next against the Northern Illinois Huskies in Waterloo on Sept. 14 at 7 p.m.  This will be the first of the final two non-conference matches the Panthers will play before kicking off Missouri Valley Conference play on Sept. 23 against Loyola-Chicago.