Panthers compete for titles at Drake Invite

WILLIAM RIEPE, Sports Writer

The Panthers tennis team traveled to Des Moines this weekend to take part in the Drake Invitational. This year’s field brought eight schools together for competition, including the Augustana Vikings, Creighton Bluejays, Drake Bulldogs, Missouri Western State Griffons, Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks, South Dakota Coyotes, Upper Iowa Peacocks, and of course, the UNI Panthers.

As of print time, many Panthers were set to play for titles in the final rounds, in what has been a phenomenal start to the tennis season in their opening tournament of the year.

In the B flight of the consolation bracket, Daisy Phillip moved onto the championship match after a victory over freshman teammate Olivia Fain by a score of 6-1, 6-4.

Claudia Toledo and Reghan Lynch are facing off in the A flight consolation bracket for the title as well. Other notable Panthers in tournament competition includes Valentina Caro, who received a second round bye and entered competition for the C flight consolation bracket. Harri Proudfoot is set to take on two South Dakota players Jana Lazarevic and Natalie Kmoskova in the C flight of the consolation bracket

After a rough spring where they went 6-12 in dual meets, the Panthers look to carry this momentum going forward into their next tournament. The purple and gold will see their next action on Sept. 21 at the Gopher Invite in Minneapolis, hosted by the University of Minnesota.