No more beating around the bush

An undefeated season is brought to an end with a home quarterfinal loss. An opponent scores 14 unanswered points in the second half to capture a five-point lead and the national championship. A touchdown pass completed with 14 seconds left in the game gives an opponent a one-point edge and a trip to the national championship game.

Most Panther seniors witnessed all of these tragedies firsthand throughout the past four seasons, and the memories remain painful.

“You know, you don’t get over it. It’s just something you’ve got to live with,” said redshirt senior quarterback Pat Grace.

With such a persistent flirtation with the Football Championship Subdivision National Title recently, one would imagine that the championship trophy will either give in to the seductive Panther growl or get a restraining order.

One thing is for sure, though. Head coach Mark Farley and his football program have a more clear idea of what it will take to win over their crush.

“You need a little bit of luck, and you need a lot of talent. You need resources to build that talent. We have those things,” said Farley.

The No. 4 UNI Panthers are set on keeping fate’s role to a minimum this year, however. As Missouri Valley Football Conference favorites, an abundance of talent and a proven coaching staff will hopefully give the team the control it desires.

“Every year you have to get a break here and there. We’re not banking on that. We’re relying on our athletic ability, coaching and great play calls,” said redshirt junior linebacker Jamar Thompson.

UNI’s success, like any football squad, will start in the trenches. Having an offensive line consisting of five seniors and a defensive line that presents more talent than any defensive front in recent memory, which provides a solid base.

“The defensive line will be the structure upon which we build the defense,” said Farley.

James Ruffin will lead the intimidating defensive line at the defensive end position. The redshirt senior’s accolades, including a first-team All-America choice, seem to pile up as high and wide as his 6’4″, 263-pound frame. Thankfully, the awards have yet to get to his head.

“James has worked hard his whole career here. His demeanor has never changed,” said Farley.

Running backs bold enough to break through the defensive line will meet a second challenge in an equally fierce linebacker corps. The linebacker arsenal features last season’s second leading tackler, Thompson; a first-team All-MVFC pick, Josh Mahoney; and Elijah Hodge, the brother of Iowa Hawkeye linebacker great. Hodge, a Wisconsin transfer, earned three letters with the Badgers before becoming a Panther.

Experience on defense is matched, if not surpassed, by the seasoned Panther offense. Nine out of eleven starters are returning starters, while the remaining two are redshirt seniors.

Second-team all-MVFC quarterback Pat Grace returns as general of the Panther’s West Coast-style offense. As opponents discovered last season, Grace is a dual-threat with legs as explosive as his throwing arm. His limbs earned him an average of 204.5 total yards per game, the league’s second best.

“He’s aggressive, and that’s what makes him good,” said Farley.

Grace has an impressive selection of wide receivers to enhance his passing game as well.

“Wide receiver wise, it might be the best I’ve seen here. We have speed; we have guys that can run great routes and get down the field,” said Grace.

Notre Dame recruit D.J. Hord, a senior, heads into his second year at UNI. Hord leads the receiving troupe alongside sophomores Jarred Herring and Josh Collins, who both came on strong at the end of the 2008 season. Herring and Collins were named to the MVFC’s All-Newcomer team as freshmen.

Replacing UNI’s all-time leading rusher, Corey Lewis, will be a challenge at the running back position. However, senior Derrick Law has the power and a newfound quickness to create a smooth transition. Law ran for 786 yards and nine touchdowns last season as Lewis’s backup.

Redshirt juniors Ryan Mahaffey and Schuylar Oordt will once again split time at tight end. Mahaffey, a second-team all-MVFC pick, will also take on fullback duties when necessary.

Fellow redshirt junior Billy Hallgren also returns as placekicker.

Although experience at most every position is apparent, experience in the UNI secondary, for lack of a better word, is not apparent. One will find fresh faces at every position in the secondary, especially at the cornerback position, where four freshmen are competing for the two spots.

“The secondary will be tested and will be tested often,” said Farley.

The young secondary will be challenged right away too. The Panthers kick off their 2009 campaign with a trip to historic, 70,000-seat Kinnick Stadium to take on the No. 21 Iowa Hawkeyes, their only Football Bowl Series opponent. 12