UNI wraps season at ITA Tourney

EMMETT LYNCH, Sports Writer

The UNI tennis team has finished the fall campaign after competing in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Regional in Iowa City on Friday, Oct. 12 through Tuesday, Oct. 16.

UNI was faced with tough competition at this final event. Participating teams included the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes, the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles, the Arkansas Razorbacks, the Iowa Hawkeyes and the Iowa State Cyclones.

The freshman doubles team of Olivia Fain and Daisy Phillips defeated Adorable Huckleby and Danielle Burich of the University of Iowa by a score of 8-6 in the first round. The two then fell to Martina Zerulo and Tatum Rice from the University of Arkansas 8-2. Their first-round win was the only victory of the tournament for UNI.

Harri Proudfoot and Valentina Cara fell to Martina Okalova and Vera Ploner of the University of Tulsa in an 8-0 shutout. Reghan Lynch went on a relentless comeback in the singles competition against Sophie Clark from the University of Iowa, but eventually fell in a competitive second set 6-3, 7-5.

With the fall season in the books, the team will take a break before resuming dual meet play in the spring. This is a very young team, with most of the roster including first-year students that look to come out strong for the spring campaign.